Kayla D. Dreyer is an associate in the Denver office of Lewis Brisbois whose primary practice area is Labor & Employment. Prior to joining Lewis Brisbois, Kayla practiced in the Denver office of an AmLaw 200 firm headquartered in New York.
While there, she developed a diverse insurance defense practice that encompassed a wide range of complex liability matters, including commercial, personal injury, and construction defect claims, among others.
She also maintained an insurance coverage practice, and has represented insurers and insurance brokers in coverage-related matters, including bad faith and garnishment actions.
Kayla completed a judicial clerkship in the U.S. District Court of New Mexico. While there, she honed her legal research and writing skills and developed an intimate understanding of federal courts. She also forged connections within the diverse region and fell in love with the Rocky Mountains, leading her to establish her home in Colorado.
Giving back to the community has always been one of Kayla’s priorities. Since moving to Denver, she has served on the Colorado Bar Association Litigation Section Council, and will be a chair for the Section’s Colorado Litigators’ Summit.
Kayla also volunteers with the Colorado Lawyers Committee and the Junior League of Denver, and is the Junior League General Meetings Chair through May, 2019. In her leisure time, Kayla enjoys hiking, skiing, running, and traveling. She is an avid sports fan, and you will often find her cheering on the Texas Longhorns or at a Colorado Rockies game.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Juris Doctor with Honors
- The University of Texas-Pan American, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, magna cum laude
- State Bar Admissions, Colorado
- United States Courts of Appeals & Supreme Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Courts,
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Colorado Women’s Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Colorado Bar Association, Labor & Employment and Litigation Sections
- Texas Bar Association
Representative Matters :
- Represented employers facing federal discrimination claims asserted by former employees throughout the EEOC’s investigation, review, and voluntary mediation process.
- Served as second-chair defense counsel in premises liability jury trial conducted in the Arapahoe County District Court of Colorado.
- Successfully litigated and then negotiated a settlement on behalf of dozens of food-service workers against a Buffalo wings franchise through a FLSA collective-action lawsuit.
- Defended a putative class action brought by a defaulted student loan consumer against a debt collection firm challenging calculation of the firm’s fees, where the federal lending laws and regulations were ambiguous and in conflict.
- Lead counsel in defense of administrative-wage garnishment by the Government arising from client’s default on a USDA-guaranteed mortgage loan, where the U.S. government paid a private lender for post-foreclosure losses. The client’s entire debt to the Government was ultimately extinguished.
Rate : $$$$