Keith R. Barnett advises local, national and international clients in all aspects of commercial real estate, including real estate finance, development, acquisitions, sales and leasing. For more than 25 years he has represented a variety of clients, including some of the world’s largest publicly traded and private retailers, investors, developers, pension fund advisors, life insurance companies and commercial banks in various real estate transactions. Recently, Mr. Barnett has led numerous high-profile hotel transactions and developments.
As a leading commercial real estate attorney, Mr. Barnett counsels clients on a wide range of legal and business real estate matters for clients across industries. Mr. Barnett represents United States-based retailers in all their real estate needs, including acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, permitting and development.
He also advises clients in connection with numerous major real estate developments, such as hotel projects, retail developments, office buildings, biotechnology and high technology facilities, residential developments, warehouse and industrial facilities and academic buildings.
In addition, Mr. Barnett has an active practice representing owners and tenants in connection with various leasing transactions as well as buyers and sellers in connection with both the acquisition and disposition of real estate in all asset classes.
In the area of real estate finance, Mr. Barnett has significant experience with traditional mortgage loans, mezzanine loans, preferred equity investments and so-called “bond leases,” “synthetic leases” and other accounting and tax sensitive transactions.
He is a leader in the firm’s Distressed Real Estate Solutions Group, and advises clients in various positions with respect to options and opportunities, including loan workouts, foreclosure advice, and debt and equity restructurings.
Mr. Barnett is a member of the Board of Trustees, the Audit Committee and the Hospital of the Future Committee (for long-term strategic planning) of The New England Baptist Hospital. He has also been actively involved in various political campaigns at local, statewide and national levels.
Mr. Barnett is a fellow of The American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL) and a member of the Government Affairs Committee of the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, the International Council of Shopping Centers and NAIOP and The Commercial Real Estate Development Association. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association and Boston Bar Association.
- Representation of developer of a 700 foot (approximately 60 story) tower in Boston’s Back Bay which will include a Four Seasons Hotel and Four Seasons branded condominiums
- Representation of international NYSE retail company in acquisition, permitting and development of several new stores and expansions throughout New England
- Representation of developer of a luxury 300 room hotel in Boston, Massachusetts, financed in part by state and federal historic rehabilitation tax credits, a pension fund venture partner and a construction to mini-perm mortgage loan
- Representation of owner of a mixed-use commercial property in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in a $160 million financing
- Representation of owner/developer in the restructuring and recapitalization of the debt and equity positions in a luxury hotel
- Representation of developer of a 33 story, $400 million redevelopment in New Orleans, Louisiana; the project will consist of a Four Seasons Hotel, Four Seasons-branded condominiums and a museum/cultural component
- Representation of clients in the acquisition, financing and disposition of approximately $250 million of property in sale/leaseback transactions.
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1991
- AB, Harvard University, 1988
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts
Rate : $$$