Keith C. Owens represents clients in bankruptcy, creditors’ rights matters, and commercial litigation. Keith’s practice encompasses all facets of bankruptcy and insolvency. He works with a variety of clients in the entertainment, healthcare, technology, sports, commercial real estate, hospitality, and many other industries with respect to distressed acquisitions and dispositions in out-of-court transactions, as well as all general bankruptcy matters.
Keith has a proven track record of advocating for clients in virtually all aspects of bankruptcy and insolvency law in United States Bankruptcy Courts and federal District Courts throughout the United States, as well as creditors’ rights litigation in California state courts.
Keith has a solid background in bankruptcy law, encompassing critical aspects of bankruptcy and insolvency, including : Single-asset real estate cases, Bankruptcy appeals, Corporate dissolutions.
Keith began his legal career as a trial law clerk for the Honorable Christopher M. Klein of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California, and as an appellate law clerk to the Honorable John E. Ryan, who served on the United States Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Ninth Circuit. Prior to attending law school, Keith worked as a writer for Tig Productions and various Los Angeles–based magazines.
- Drafted Petition for certiorari, granted in part by the United States Supreme Court in U.S. Bank Nat’l Ass’n v. Village at Lakeridge, LLC, 138 S. Ct. 960, 2018 WL 1143822 (Mar. 5, 2018)
- Represented numerous actors, producers, directors, and writers as counter-parties to contracts in The Weinstein Company Chapter bankruptcy cases in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
- Represented an actor, producer, and writer in the Relativity Media Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases filed in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
- Represents intellectual property licensors and licensees in bankruptcy cases and Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors proceedings throughout the United States
- Represented auto parts manufacturer Fluid Routing Solutions and its affiliated debtor entities in their Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases filed in United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware
- Represented Care1st Health Plan, in its acquisition of WattsHealth d/b/a UHP Healthcare HMO for $30 million in the WattsHealth Chapter 11 bankruptcy case filed in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California
- Represents some of the nation’s largest special servicers of CMBS assets on all aspects of commercial real estate loan workouts, bankruptcies, foreclosure, and receivership litigation.
- J.D. cum laude South western University School of Law 1996
- B.A. History and Political Science University of California at Los Angeles 1991
Bar Admissions : California 1996
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court 2004
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California
Clerk Experience :
- Honorable John E. Ryan U.S. Bankruptcy Appellate Panel of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Honorable Christopher M. Klein U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California
Professional Memberships :
- Member, Beverly Hills Bar Association, 2011; chair, Executive Committee of the Bankruptcy Section
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Executive Committee of the Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section
- Member, Financial Lawyers Conference
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum
- Member, Orange County Bankruptcy Forum
Rate : $$$$