Ms. Kelly Ann Bird counsels employers on employment and human resources issues, presents workplace training programs, conducts and assists in investigations, and litigates as necessary in these areas.
Her clients range from small, family-owned businesses, hospitals, and higher education institutions to regional based companies with thousands of employees. She represents her clients in proceedings in federal and state courts, and state and federal civil rights agencies, as well as arbitrations and mediations.
Her practice includes:
- Developing, drafting, and assisting in implementation of employment policies, procedures, handbooks, and contracts;
- Providing advice on equal employment, hiring, performance management, termination, and leave issues;
- Conducting and advising on workplace and Title IX investigations and responses to employee and student complaints;
- Responding to government agency charges, investigations and audits, including by the EEOC, state civil rights agencies, and the OFCCP;
- Defending management in litigation relating to discrimination, harassment, whistleblower, wrongful discharge, tort, and contract claims;
- Representing individual officers, directors, and employees who have been sued personally for discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, and related tort and contract claims; and
- Advising clients on labor matters and supporting clients in defending labor arbitrations, unfair labor practice charges, and union organizing campaigns.
In the past year, Ms. Bird has worked with clients ranging from small start-up businesses to well-established medical device companies, to craft and implement policies that comply with federal and state laws, including the NLRB’s recent decisions concerning protected activity. She has conducted multiple investigations into allegations of improper and unlawful workplace conduct.
Ms. Bird’s experience is enhanced by her work on the State of New Jersey Committee on Character, in which she evaluates candidates for the New Jersey State Bar and was recently appointed a Statewide Part Chair. She actively works to support the growth of women in the legal profession, by serving as co-chair of the Gibbons Women’s Initiative Events Committee and in her work for two terms as Chair of committees for New Jersey Women Lawyers Association.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D.)
- College of the Holy Cross (B.A.)
- University of Virginia (M.A.T.)
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Woman Advocate Committee
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Employment Law Development Committee
- New Jersey State Bar Foundation
- Member, Board of Trustees
- Chair, Part VI of the State of New Jersey, Committee on Character, Appointment by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, July 2014
- State of New Jersey, Committee on Character, Appointment by the Supreme Court of New Jersey, July 2006-July 2014
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Programming Committee: Co-Chair, July 2010 – July 2012
- Women’s Leadership Committee: Co-Chair, July 2012 – July 2014
- New Jersey Bankers Association
- Appointed to Serve on the Human Resources Committee, April 13, 2005 – March 30, 2008
- Seton Hall University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor, August 1999 – January 2003
Rate : $$$