Kelly Johnson leverages her experience and knowledge of the executive, legislative, and judicial systems to deliver clients strategic solutions to the complex challenges they face. Kelly’s practice, at the intersection of law and public policy, includes providing environmental and natural resources compliance advice and helping clients subject to federal enforcement investigations or proceedings.
She focuses on environmental, energy, and natural resource matters for a diverse range of corporate entities. After starting her career at Holland & Hart, Kelly served as Counsel to the Senate Environment & Natural Resources Committee.
She later was the Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Environment & Natural Resources Division at the U.S. Department of Justice representing the Environmental Protection Agency, Department of the Interior, and other federal agencies in litigation involving their environmental and conservation decisions.
Kelly draws on the expertise and relationships established through her public service on Capitol Hill and the Department of Justice to develop and execute strategies that promote or protect clients’ interests before federal decision makers in Washington, D.C.
From 2012 to 2017, Kelly led the firm’s Environment and Natural Resources practice, one of the largest in the country at over 100 lawyers. Kelly currently serves as the Administrative Partner of the Washington DC office.
Experience : Kelly has experience in many areas of environmental and natural resources law, including:
- Defending Clean Air Act and Resource Conservation Recovery Act investigations and enforcement proceedings
- Federal litigation involving environmental and land management statutes
- Environmental compliance and permitting
- American Indian Law
- Federal legislative and regulatory affairs
- Indiana University School of Law . J.D., 1990
- Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs , M.P.A., 1990
- Cook College – Rutgers University , B.S., 1986
- District of Columbia
Professional and Civic Affiliations:
- Indiana University, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Distinguished Alumni Counsel, 2013-Present
- District of Columbia Bar, Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources Section Steering Committee, Co-Chair, 2008-2010
Rate : $$$$