Kelly Preteroti is an experienced trial lawyer focused on fiduciary litigation, business litigation, and municipal defense. Ms. Preteroti is a skilled and aggressive litigator who spends a significant amount of time in the courtroom.
Ms. Preteroti takes a strategic and detail-oriented approach to each engagement, pushing hard for her clients in an effort to quickly and efficiently resolve each dispute. As an experienced trial lawyer, Ms. Preteroti knows what it takes to win cases and is relentless in her pursuit of a favorable outcome for her clients.
A large part of Ms. Preteroti’s growing practice focuses on fiduciary litigation. Fiduciary disputes typically arise between individuals or financial institutions acting in a fiduciary capacity and beneficiaries of a trust or estate. Ms. Preteroti understands the nuances of litigating these matters in all venues, including the courts that handle estate administration and estate-related disputes, which vary from state-to-state.
While some cases must be tried, Ms. Preteroti is a strong proponent of mediation and alternative dispute resolution, and has handled many mediations and arbitration proceedings. Before entering private practice, Ms. Preteroti worked for the Honorable Lynne A. Battaglia on the Commission on Professionalism, which was established to explore and monitor the implementation of the professionalism policies adopted by the Court of Appeals.
From 2007 to 2011, Ms. Preteroti acted as general counsel for the Baltimore Junior Association of Commerce. From 2011 to 2016, she sat on the board of directors of BMore Fit, a 501(c) (3) with the mission of providing Baltimore City youth with physical fitness skills for lifelong, healthy living. Ms. Preteroti presently serves as the secretary and treasurer for the Wednesday Law Club.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 2006, magna cum laude
- Florida State University, B.A., 2002
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Successfully pursued a claim of undue influence, recovering several hundred thousand dollars in estate assets.
- Successfully defended a challenge to a multi-million dollar trust.
- Successfully removed a trustee for mismanaging trust property.
- Secured an order to divide and modify trust in a hotly contested proceeding.
- Awarded substantial attorneys’ fees on behalf of a personal representative after defending the fiduciary in a removal matter through trial.
- Forced opposing counsel to voluntarily dismiss a highly contentious caveat dispute and partition action.
- Successfully resolved a dispute over the interpretation of a multi-million dollar trust.
- Member – American Bar Association (Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law)
- Member – Bar Association of Baltimore City (Estates & Trusts Committee)
- Member – Federal Bar Association
- Member – Maryland State Bar Association (Estates & Trusts Section)
Community Service : Secretary/Treasurer – Wednesday Law Club
Rate : $$$