Kelly Shubic Weiner offers strategic business solutions for owners, developers, operators, investors, and lenders engaged in complex real estate and commercial transactions in the United States and abroad.
Kelly also brings a creative approach to her focus areas of hospitality and lodging, mixed-use and lifestyle development, and special servicing. Efficient and effective at guiding a transaction from inception to closing.
She advises on acquisitions, dispositions, development and construction, hospitality initiatives, joint ventures, financing, and leasing of commercial enterprises.
Kelly has extensive experience advising international hotel and lodging companies on the repositioning of convention center hotels in major U.S. cities, and the development, construction, financing, and operation of hotels in mixed-use and resort projects.
In her special servicing practice, she handles workouts and restructurings of CMBS loans. She applies a nuanced approach to bring workout deals to a successful conclusion, including those involving multiple tiers of debt and competing interests.
- As lead counsel, represented a global hotel and leisure company in its acquisition of an iconic Caribbean resort in Anguilla, including handling the renegotiation of the ground lease with the Anguillan government, negotiation of a memorandum of understanding with the Anguillan government regarding the refurbishing and redevelopment of Cap Juluca, and future expansion of the resort, with a residential development as a component thereof
- As lead counsel, represented an international hospitality company in the acquisition and development of flagship brand hotel sites
- As lead counsel, represented a major European bank in loan restructuring and a new facilities loan for $155 million in funding for a mixed-use resort development project located in Los Cabos, Mexico; includes two golf courses (one course designed by an internationally top-ranked professional golfer), golf villas, beach estates, timeshare product, and an 11-acre lagoon pool and related amenities
- As lead real estate counsel on a cross-disciplinary Venable team, represented a company in its acquisition and development of the 3,100-acre former Bethlehem Steel industrial site
- Represented a special servicer in workouts, loan restructurings, and collateral repositionings (including sale of an out-parcel to a major retailer) for regional malls across the United States
- As lead counsel, represented the purchaser in the acquisition of a 450,000 sf lifestyle retail center in Illinois, for a sale price of $124.5 million, and related leasing and tenant build-out matters
- As lead counsel, represented the purchaser of a retail center in Houston, Texas in structuring and negotiating a joint venture with the development partner, a property management and leasing agreement, and the acquisition financing.
- J.D. with honors University of Maryland School of Law 2000
- B.A. summa cum laude Loyola College In Maryland 1997
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA);
- Past chair, ABA Hospitality, Real Property, Trusts and Estates Division – Common Interests Development and Time Share Group.
Rate : $$$