Kendrick R. Riggs is a Member in the Louisville office and has been with Stoll Keenon Ogden since 1993. The chair of the firm’s Administrative Law/Regulated Industries department and Utility and Energy practice, he also serves as vice chair of the firm’s board of directors.
For more than three decades, Kendrick has routinely appeared before state commissions and courts, representing energy and telecommunications clients in adversary proceedings and alternative dispute resolutions involving complex energy issues, rate cases and mechanisms, mergers and acquisitions, renewable energy, financings, service territorial disputes, legislation, negotiation of power contracts, and construction of generation and transmission facilities.
Kendrick has served as lead regulatory counsel for the two largest investor-owned electric and gas utilities in numerous significant electric and gas base rate cases before the Kentucky Public Service Commission since 2000.
He also provided general legal and strategic advice and served as lead regulatory counsel for obtaining all state regulatory approvals in connection with a series of four mergers or acquisitions involving the two largest investor-owned electric and gas utilities in Kentucky, beginning with the 1997-98 acquisition of KU Energy Corporation, the $3.3 billion acquisition in 2000, the $14 billion acquisition in 2001 and the $7.6 billion acquisition in 2010.
Since 1993, Kendrick has served as lead regulatory counsel for environmental surcharge applications for one or both of the two largest investor-owned electric utilities in Kentucky.
In addition, over the last 15 years, Kendrick has appeared regularly before the Virginia State Corporation Commission in cases involving base rate cases, fuel factor changes, financings, rulemakings, utility acquisitions and other matters involving investor-owned electric utility regulations.
- UniversWittenberg University
- 1979, B.A., cum laude
- ity of Kentucky College of Law 1982, J.D.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- BTI Client Service All-Star, 2012-2014
- Energy Bar Association, board member, 2009-2012
- EBA Southern Chapter, vice president, 2007
- EBA East Central Chapter, past president, 2001-2002
- EBA Southern Chapter, board of directors, 2003-2012
- EBA State Commission Practice and Regulation Committee, chair, 2005-2007
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, trustee at large, 2001-present
- Louisville Legal Aid Society, chairman, board of directors, 2018-2020
- Boy Scout Troop 317, Assistant Scout Master, Christ Church United Methodist, 2002-2009
Rate : $$$$