Kerensa Cassis has a nationwide practice defending clients sued for premises and product liability. She defends individual and multi-party personal injury, wrongful death and property damage claims across the country for industrial and consumer goods manufacturers.
Kerensa has obtained favorable results for clients by focusing on early case resolution and dispositive motion practice.
Her experience includes initial case assessment and negotiations, coordinating discovery, deposing witnesses, conducting fact witness interviews, attending hearings, and drafting and arguing pre-trial motions.
Prior to law school, Kerensa spent six years as an assistant women’s basketball coach, coaching at the University of Missouri, Wichita State University and Murray State University.
During her undergraduate years, Kerensa was a three-year team captain for the Mizzou women’s basketball team, where she earned Academic All-America honors and was named to Mizzou Athletics All-Decade Team.
- Kerensa has drafted and argued successful dispositive motions in both state and federal courts.
- Allstate Indem. Co. v. ADT LLC, No. 14-9494, 2015 WL 3798715 (N.D. Ill. June 17, 2015) (dismissing lawsuit by applying subrogation waiver and alternatively dismissing claims for negligence, gross negligence, breach of implied warranty, and violations of Illinois’s Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act for failure to state a claim).
- Home Owners Ins. Co. v. ADT LLC & ACE Sec. Sys., Inc., No. 15-cv-11262, 2015 WL 3763489 (E.D. Mich. May 21, 2015) (dismissing subrogation lawsuit involving claims for breach of contract, breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, breach of warranty, negligence, fraud and violations of the Michigan Consumer Protection Act due to plaintiff’s failure to file suit within a year, comply with Rule 9(b), and adequately allege the breach of a non-contractual duty).
- Nat’l Surety Corp. v. The Lawrence Grp. Living, L.L.C., Order Granting Summary Judgment (Mo. Cir. Ct. July 8, 2015) (entering judgment in favor of third-party defendant SimplexGrinnell based on the lack of evidentiary support for third-party plaintiff’s negligence claims).
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Missouri – Kansas City
- Candler S. Rogers Legal Writing Award
- The Urban Lawyer
- UMKC Law Review
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Mark Pfeiffer, Missouri Court of Appeals, Western District
- M.S., summa cum laude, University of Missouri (Business Administration, Marketing Emphasis)
- B.S., magna cum laude, University of Missouri (Business Administration, Finance and Banking, Real Estate)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- Association of Women Lawyers
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
Rate : $$$$