Kevin J. Buckley has broad experience in structured finance, securitization and capital markets finance, with particular emphasis on mortgage finance matters. Kevin has served as co-head of the firm’s structured finance and securitization practice group for more than 15 years.
He is listed as a leading capital markets and corporate lawyer by Chambers Global and by Chambers USA, in which clients note that Kevin is “highly capable, motivated and extremely responsive,” “a firm and fair negotiator” with “excellent communication skills,” and a “very good team leader.”
Kevin represents banks, real estate investment trusts, investment funds, private equity investors, mortgage companies and other financial institutions in connection with structured finance, acquisition and investment matters.
He represents issuers, underwriters, trustees, master servicers, insurers and other participants in public and private securities offerings, securitizations, structured financings and other capital markets transactions.
Kevin also represents various financial institutions in bankruptcy, insolvency and workout matters related to structured financings.
- Served as issuer’s counsel for public and private offerings of mortgage-backed securities and other asset-backed securities totaling more than $1 trillion.
- Acted as issuer’s counsel in connection with securitization transactions involving unique asset types and innovative securities structures, including representation of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in the design of the first REMIC mortgage-backed securities program with a full faith and credit guaranty of the United States, the Government National Mortgage Association (Ginnie Mae) in the creation of its guaranteed REMIC program, and the issuer of first public securitization of reperforming FHA and VA loans.
- Served as issuer’s counsel in the design and implementation of securitization programs for regulated financial institutions and other issuers of mortgage-backed securities involving various loan types, including residential and commercial mortgage loans, home equity loans, high LTV loans, home improvement loans, FHA Title I loans, manufactured housing contracts and nonperforming and reperforming loans.
- Represents real estate investment trusts (REITs), investment funds and others in connection with various residential and commercial mortgage loan acquisition, finance and securitization programs and transactions.
- Represents purchasers, sellers and servicers in connection with the purchase and sale of pools of residential and commercial mortgage loans and mortgage servicing rights, including performing, nonperforming and reperforming loans, conventional loans, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Ginnie Mae-eligible loans and mortgage loans qualified for FHA insurance and VA guaranty.
- Represents master servicers, trustees, financial guaranty insurers, securities administrators and other participants in connection with structured finance and securitization matters, including public and private transactions and bankruptcy, receivership and workout matters.
- JD, Washington and Lee University School of Law, cum laude, Note and Comment Editor, Washington and Lee Law Review, 1985
- BS in Civil Engineering, University of Notre Dame, 1979
- New York
- Director, University of Notre Dame Alumni Association Board of Directors, 2017-2020
- Past President, Notre Dame Club of Richmond
- Leadership Council, Mid-Atlantic Catholic Schools Consortium
- Director, Haitian Education Fund, 2002-2004
- Director, Concilium for Education, 1992-1994
- Chairman, Diocesan School Board, Catholic Diocese of Richmond, 1986-1992
Rate : $$$