Kevin E. Gaunt helps clients navigate the waters of white collar defense, internal investigations, and regulatory enforcement. He advises on complex compliance issues and has a knack for matters involving data management and technology.
Kevin represents clients in a range of industries, including financial services, telecommunications, student lending, social media, and consumer electronics, in matters involving financial crime, data privacy and data breaches, money laundering, the FCPA, and anti-bribery / anti-corruption violations.
He also advises clients on issues relating to national security matters such as the Foreign Agents Registration Act (“FARA”), OFAC violations, counterespionage investigations, and export control compliance. He focuses on understanding his clients’ businesses and needs first, and then providing clear, practical counsel.
With a broad range of practical experience in the arena, Kevin is also well-versed in electronic discovery and the collection, management, and production of electronically-stored information (ESI).
He regularly advises clients and other attorneys on thorny issues arising from the use and production of ESI, whether in conducting internal investigations, responding to government subpoenas, or during the course of discovery in litigation.
Prior to beginning his legal career, Kevin served for almost six years as an infantry officer in the U.S. Army. He served with the 101st Airborne Infantry Division (Air Assault) at Fort Campbell, KY, and with the 2nd Infantry Division at Camp Casey, South Korea.
- Coordinated internal investigation and subpoena response for international consulting firm responding to multi-prong government investigation into Russian interference in 2016 elections and related FARA registration issues.
- Conducted internal investigation for county school board to facilitate board’s response to government investigation into allegations of bid-rigging and kickbacks relating to school contractors.
- Conducted internal investigation for major packaged foods company to address issues relating to potential violations of the Clean Water Act.
- Researched and evaluated social media platforms, consumer electronics, and other technology products and software to assist clients with performing product intelligence for patent portfolio analyses.
- Advised global financial institution on cross-border issues relating to the application of bank secrecy laws in foreign jurisdictions in response to regulatory requests for documents.
- Advised on application of Bank Secrecy Act / Anti-Money Laundering (BSA/AML) requirements to entities in a number of industries including: investment companies and hedge funds; residential mortgage loan originators (RMLOs); and banks and lenders in the financial services industry.
- Advised global aerospace, defense, and security company on application of the UK Bribery Act to a proposed reconfiguration of the company’s corporate structure.
Represented former FIFA executive in Department of Justice investigation into corruption in international soccer.
- Conducted internal investigation for major retail company to facilitate company’s response to government anti-bribery and corruption investigation.
- Assisted with internal investigation for major technology company to facilitate company’s response to data breaches and exfiltration of sensitive customer information.
- Represented CEO and CFO of multi-level marketing company in FTC investigation of its business practices.
- Represented legislative affairs professional in OIG inquiry of agency head’s statements to Congress.
- Defended a major bank in a receivership relating to a multi-million-dollar Ponzi scheme.
- Conducted internal investigation related to disclosure of prepaid debit card fees for a company in the prepaid banking industry.
- Represented a healthcare provider at trial in Medicare fraud case brought by DOJ Medicare Fraud Strike Force.
- JD, University of Miami School of Law, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Editor-in-Chief, University of Miami Inter-American Law Review, 2009
- BA, Davidson College, cum laude, 1998
- District of Columbia
- Member, Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS)
Rate : $$$