Kevin Joseph Burke is a litigation partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, where he served as the firm’s Chairman, and head of the Management Committee and Executive Committee from 2015 ‒ 2019. Since stepping down as Chairman, he has pursued his interests leading the firm’s strategic global relationships and innovation.
He has worked with RPC (Reynolds Porter Chamberlain) in London to enter into a strategic alliance in the Insurance Sector. His trial practice concentrates in the areas of major commercial, civil and professional liability, and medical negligence lawsuits.
He is also counseling on cybersecurity and privacy issues for clients. Kevin has spent his entire professional career as a courtroom trial attorney and litigator, having tried over fifty jury trial cases.
Kevin has also represented professional sports teams in litigation and drafted sports liability limitation legislation, which was enacted into law in Illinois. He has served as advisory counsel for businesses on corporate matters and is often engaged as a mediator selected by litigants to resolve disputes.
Kevin joined Hinshaw in March 1984. He has been active in firm management since 1997, as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, and as a member of the firm’s Management Committee since 2003. Kevin served as the firm’s Vice Chairman from 2009 through 2015, when he was elected as the firm’s Chairman.
In addition to his B.A. and J.D. from Boston College/The New England School of Law, he also holds a Certificate of Mediation from Loyola University Chicago/Health Law Center and a Certificate of Law Firm Leadership from Harvard University Law School.
He frequently speaks and is asked to comment on matters related to the business of law, law firm change management, and innovation in strategies to best serve clients and deliver value efficiently.
Representative Matters :
- A trial to verdict of a commercial business dispute involving claims of breach of contract and intellectual property relating to the design of a manufacturing control device.
- Prepared and litigated the defense of a medical device products case involving a stereotactic radiotherapy device, and claimed brain damage. Case was successfully mediated to resolution.
- Counseled a global medical device manufacturer with regard to product risk analysis and marketing.
- Tried an obstetrical brain injury and death of an infant to a successful verdict.
- Defended a prominent personal injury attorney in a legal malpractice action involving an underlying trucking accident.
Professional Affiliations :
- Society of Trial Lawyers
- Illinois Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Bar Foundation
- J.D., New England School of Law, 1982
- B.A., Boston College, 1978
Admissions : Illinois, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Rate : $$$$