Across the country, Kevin F. Kieffer has litigated complex insurance coverage issues arising under a variety of third and first party policy policies, including professional liability, media-tech, cyber liability, employment practices liability, architects and engineers, directors’ and officers’ liability, and comprehensive general liability.
He has successfully defended several insurance companies against various bad faith and other extra-contractual claims. Kevin also regularly provides advice and counseling to insurers, including policy drafting and wording.
Kevin has also represented national, regional, and local clients in a variety of complex civil litigation matters in federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate level.
As first or second chair, Kevin has tried several cases and has successfully handled breach of contract, securities, valuation, construction, antitrust, fraud, professional liability, malicious prosecution and environmental matters in federal and state courts throughout the western United States.
Representative Matters :
- Obtained numerous summary judgments and/or settlements involving waiver of costs on behalf of insurers in bad faith or breach of contract lawsuits.
- On behalf of electrical subcontractor and its principals, first chaired six month jury trial involving breach of contract, fraud, and construction claims, obtaining a complete victory for the individual defendants.
- Represented the subcontractor in the appeal of a pretrial writ of attachment, resulting in the first published decision in California regarding the interplay between Public Contract Code 4107 and breach of contract.
- Represented relaters in a novel False Claims Act case that obtained $76.25 million in recoveries based upon allegations of price fixing for carbon fiber.
- Served as lead counsel in the resolution of a $5 million breach of contract, fraud dispute involving the failed sale of a commercial building.
- As lead trial counsel, successfully obtained a preliminary injunction and negotiated $4 million settlement on behalf client, a national pharmaceutical company.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Orange County Chapter
- American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- Nevada State Bar Association
Professional Experience : Kevin has taught labor and employment law at Cerritos College
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Traynor Honor Society, 1997, Articles Editor, Pacific Law Journal; Student Body Vice President
- University of California, Irvine, B.A., 1993
BAR ADMISSIONS : California, Nevada
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Rate : $$$$