Kevin Koronka focuses his practice on labor and employment because he loves working with people. He is passionate about practicing in a field where the law has a strong personal element.
Frequently working with healthcare systems and providers, Kevin advises and defends employers on a wide range of issues, including high level investigations, leave and accommodation concerns, discrimination and harassment matters, non-competition agreements, reductions in force and sensitive terminations.
He sees himself first as a problem solver who enjoys utilizing his industry expertise to craft solutions to the day-to-day obstacles that arise in employment matters. Clients value his practical approach, as he provides quick and concise answers that minimize legal risk and permit businesses to avoid becoming unnecessarily sidetracked with workforce issues.
While Kevin typically aims to help clients stay in front of problems, at times litigation is unavoidable. When clients do find themselves in court, Kevin is a fierce advocate for their interests.
He also advocates for clients before laws are made, testifying before the Texas legislature on multiple occasions to help clients shape new state laws and regulations. In addition, Kevin regularly provides counsel on how new and proposed legislation may affect workplace policies.
When a client was facing a dispute that could have led to highly negative publicity, Kevin worked quickly to achieve a favorable resolution. A health system executive claimed that she had reported that a hospital was violating numerous safety standards, and was then fired in retaliation for blowing the whistle.
The client had a compelling defense; however, the health system also recognized that litigating the matter had the potential to damage its reputation, regardless of the verdict. Understanding the client’s priorities, Kevin fought hard to resolve the case outside of court, achieving what the client described as an excellent result with a very favorable settlement.
- Defended employer in a two week workers’ compensation retaliation jury trial involving life-threatening injuries to employee. Secured complete defense verdict of no liability and zero damages.
- Obtained dismissal of race discrimination and retaliation claims made by longtime employee of nationwide hospital system.
- Achieved complete summary judgment dismissal for Fortune 500 employer and distributor with regard to Title VII disparate impact, hostile work environment and failure to promote claims based upon race.
- Obtained injunctive relief for international employer in enforcing noncompetition agreements of multiple sales representatives attempting to leave company to work for direct competitors.
- Worked with management, in-house counsel and human resources personnel of physician group to provide employee relations strategy, implement new policies and employee code of conduct, and prepare new employee handbook.
- Assisted healthcare group in evaluation of employee contracts and liabilities in purchase of physician practice.
- Secured defense verdict in bench trial involving hostile work environment and retaliation claims for healthcare/real estate investor.
Community Leadership :
- Dallas HR (Dallas Chapter of Society for Human Resources Management), Board of Directors, 2017
- Dallas HR Employment Law & HR Compliance Committee, 2016-present, Director, 2017
- Habitat for Humanity, 2001-present
Rate : $$$