Kevin G. McBride has a nationwide intellectual property litigation and licensing practice. He has represented clients in matters involving a wide range of technologies. He routinely appears in patent matters in federal district courts and before the International Trade Commission (ITC).
Kevin has established a record of sustained success in complex patent disputes over his more than 30 years of practice. His success is attributable to his ability to handle technical subject matter, combined with a deep understanding of his clients’ businesses, people and culture.
- Successful as lead counsel in more than 60 patent cases in the past 10 years.
- Focuses on patent litigation and licensing.
- Assisted multiple defendant groups in the then-largest multidistrict patent litigation. The cases involved technology relating to interactive voice response systems.
- In a highly complex patent infringement suit brought in the Eastern District of Texas, represented a consumer electronics company. The patents in this matter were particularly complicated, both technically and procedurally. A loss would have meant substantial royalties on the sales of almost all product. Achieved a very favorable settlement for the client.
- Advised a leading HDTV and sound bar brand company in a patent infringement investigation at the ITC. At stake was exclusion from importation of virtually all products sold by the client. As an alternative, settlement to avoid the exclusion order would also have been prohibitively expensive. The administrative law judge (ALJ) at the ITC found that the client did not infringe the complainant’s patents.
- Defended a digital television service provider in multiple patent infringement actions and appeals involving various aspects of direct broadcast satellite television technology, including uplink signal processing and a wide range of set-top box functionalities.
- Served as legal counsel in defense of a satellite manufacturer in a trade secrets action over the conception of, and techniques used for, a satellite rescue by means of a lunar fly-by.
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Member, University of Southern California IP Institute Planning Committee.
- Member, Los Angeles Intellectual Property Law Association.
- Member, Orange County Intellectual Property Law Association.
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, cum laude, 1985
- B.S., University of Notre Dame, 1976
- M.S., University of California, Davis, 1978
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Rate : $$$$