Kevin Garrison is a shareholder in Baker Donelson’s Birmingham office. Mr. Garrison concentrates his practice in construction litigation, and he is the only attorney in Alabama accredited by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional for Building Design & Construction, and one of only twenty attorneys in the world with this accreditation.
This credential allows Mr. Garrison to help clients proactively examine and prepare for the unique qualifications and risks that are involved in green construction projects.
As a construction attorney, Mr. Garrison represents owners, contractors, subcontractors and suppliers in all aspects of construction disputes, from construction contract drafting and negotiation to mechanics’ liens, contractor licensing issues, insurance claims, payment and performance bond claims, retainage issues, litigation and arbitration.
In addition to his construction practice, Mr. Garrison is also experienced in appellate work and general business litigation involving non-compete agreements, obtaining temporary restraining orders and other injunctive relief, receivership cases, employment discrimination cases, contract disputes and personal injury defense.
Before joining Baker Donelson, Mr. Garrison worked in the office of the Governor of Alabama and was a law clerk to the Honorable W. Keith Watkins, Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama.
- University of Alabama, J.D., 2007, cum laude
- University of Alabama, B.S. in Civil Engineering, 2002, cum laude
- Alabama, 2007
- United States District Court for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama, 2008
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, 2014
- Successful appeal of a trial court’s denial of a motion to compel arbitration before the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Multiple appearances and matters before the Alabama Licensing Board for General Contractors and the Alabama State Board of Licensure for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.
- Obtained the dismissal of a multimillion dollar claim against an engineering firm without discovery in state court, a decision affirmed by the Alabama Supreme Court.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement for an owner against a general contractor for defective roofing work at a prominent religious facility.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a railroad contractor against a quarry owner.
- Assisted a client with hundreds of contractor and engineering licensing issues across 48 states.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Leadership UAB Class of 2012
- Former and Founding Board Member – Financial Education Outreach
- Member – Birmingham Bar Association’s 2010 Future Leaders Forum
- Past Vice Chair – Birmingham Branch of U.S. Green Building Council’s Alabama Chapter
- Former and Founding Member – Birmingham Civil Rights Institute REACH
- Member – Public Interest Advisory Board, University of Alabama School of Law
Rate : $$$$