Kevin W. Shaughnessy is a class action litigator who provides high-level consultation to employers on sensitive internal matters and corporate compliance issues. Working primarily with general counsel, C-level executives and human resources professionals, he helps clients avoid the potential negative impact of bet-the-company litigation while concomitantly helping to create and preserve productive working environments.
Kevin focuses on each client’s specific needs and develops unique strategies to place his clients in the best light, legally and publicly, while handling litigation and non-litigation matters efficiently and effectively.
Clients seek Kevin’s counsel on business and legal issues due to his understanding of corporate missions and operations, and his appreciation of the personal and professional challenges clients face every day.
Kevin is board certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Florida Bar. He is ranked by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, is named in The Best Lawyers in America© and was recently named by Best Lawyers in America as 2017 Lawyer of the Year Orlando, Litigation – Labor and Employment, and is also ranked by The Legal 500 in Labor and Employment Law.
- Kevin’s appellate experience includes statutory interpretation and constitutional cases before the Florida Supreme Court, the United States Supreme Court, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and many other federal and state appellate courts.
- Kevin has represented employers from a range of industries in OSHA investigations, safety training and safety program development. His OSHA investigation experience includes, among other claims, bloodborne pathogen contamination, several employee death cases, and chemical contamination cases. The industries include transportation, construction, automobile parts manufacturing, educational institutions, and construction and electrical equipment manufacturing.
- Kevin represents a variety of companies in a number of industries, and has a substantial restaurant industry practice. He represents nationwide chains, regional operators and significant franchisees. He has participated in three amicus briefs filed on behalf of the Restaurant Law Center in the United States Supreme Court, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, on arbitration agreements and website access issues. He and his team have defended over fifty wage and hour cases involving restaurant employers.
- When whistleblower claims made against one of the country’s largest agricultural interests threatened to jeopardize the client’s highly valued relationship with its largest retailer, Kevin rapidly resolved the claims. Kevin and his client were transparent in dealing with the retailer and conducted an immediate investigation into all of the whistleblower’s claims. The retailer was kept fully informed about the investigation’s scope and results. The investigation established that there was no merit to any of the whistleblower’s allegations and the client’s business relationship was preserved.
- Orange County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Committee, Past Chair
- Ninth Circuit Grievance Committee, Past Chair
- Orlando Area Trust for the Homeless, Director (2008 to 2011)
- Bishop Grady Villas, Board of Directors (2005 to 2008)
- Bishop Moore High School, Chair (1993)
- Urban League, Board of Directors (1996)
- J.D., Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, 1983
- B.B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1980, Accounting, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1992
- District of Columbia, 1983
Rate : $$$