Kimberly J. Gold is a partner in Reed Smith’s Life Sciences Health Industry Group, and co-leads the firm’s HIPAA and Health Privacy & Security Practice. She focuses on transactional, regulatory, data privacy and cybersecurity matters, primarily for health care and life sciences companies.
She provides privacy and security advice in connection with digital health initiatives, corporate compliance activities, M&A and technology transactions, regulatory investigations, vendor management, and incident planning and response.
She is currently advising a number of companies in various industries on compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Kim regularly advises clients on matters involving privacy and security of patient information under HIPAA and state laws.
She also represents clients in the digital health area and has counseled health care providers, pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, and health care technology companies on relevant regulatory and data privacy issues, including those particular to mobile medical apps, artificial intelligence, cloud services and connected devices, blockchain, and telemedicine.
For more than a year, Kim worked on-site with the Global Privacy Office of a global pharmaceutical company on various legal matters, including negotiating vendor and data sharing agreements, providing advice on marketing and clinical research initiatives, and developing privacy notices, consent documents, and internal policies.
Kim’s transactional experience includes mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, affiliations, and contract matters for life sciences companies, hospitals, group practices, and other provider entities.
Kim’s practice also involves counseling health care and life sciences companies on regulatory and compliance matters, including developing and implementing compliance programs, defending clients in government investigations, and advising on regulatory and privacy considerations in connection with clinical research initiatives.
Kim also regularly advises clients on graduate medical education issues affecting academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, including ACGME accreditation and Medicare reimbursement issues.
- Fordham University School of Law, 2008, J.D., Associate editor of the Fordham Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law Journal and a member of Phi Alpha Delta.
- University of Delaware, 2004, B.A., Honors Program
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : New York
Professional Affiliations :
- American Bar Association (ABA) – Health Law Section
- eHealth, Privacy & Security Interest Group Liaison (2017-present)
- Distance Learning Committee, vice chair (2012 – 2017)
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- Diversity+Inclusion Council, member (2018-2020)
- Health Information Technology Practice Group: Emerging Uses Affinity Group, chair (2012 – 2015)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- American Telemedicine Association
- Association of Corporate Counsel NYC Women’s Group Steering Committee
- Healthcare Transactions
- Represented a New York managed care plan in the multi-billion dollar acquisition of its entire health insurance business.
- Counseled a global pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a generic drug manufacturer.
- Negotiated clinical trial agreements and data sharing agreements on behalf of pharmaceutical manufacturers and other life sciences companies.
- Advised a not-for-profit medical app manufacturer in a joint venture transaction with a not-for-profit foundation.
- Negotiated agreements with SaaS and other vendors on behalf of a global pharmaceutical company.
- Data Privacy
- Represent and assist clients across industries in response efforts to multi-state data security incidents involving multiple notification and regulatory response obligations.
- Currently advising health care and retail companies on CCPA applicability and compliance.
- Advised a multinational investment bank and financial services company on legal and regulatory compliance matters under state, federal, and international privacy law.
- Counseled clients on HIPAA and FTC privacy regulations applicable to pharmaceutical and devise manufacturers, internet-based platforms and mobile medical apps.
Rate : $$$