Kimberly A. Jones represents clients in ERISA and non-ERISA litigation, primarily in federal courts throughout the country. Her clients have included insurance companies, employers, plan administrators, claim administrators and multiemployer benefit funds in a variety of benefit claim litigation, including disability, life, health, and pension claim denials, and ERISA breach of fiduciary duty claims.
Kim has represented pension and health and welfare plans in defending fiduciary breach claims alleging failure to monitor and investigate service providers and prohibited transactions.
She also has performed significant work for self-funded/self-administered benefit plans. In addition to her litigation work, Kim provides counseling to clients on benefit claim administration and benefit plan design.
- Achieved summary judgment for numerous life, health disability and pension administrators and insurers in lawsuits involving denials of employee benefit claims brought by plan participants and beneficiaries.
- Obtained numerous dismissals of duplicative fiduciary breach claims brought by plan participants against disability insurers and administrators in lawsuits involving the denial of ERISA disability claims.
- Achieved summary judgment for a large multiemployer employee health and welfare trust fund in an ERISA fiduciary breach claim against a vision services provider that had improperly withheld more than $400,000 in fund assets.
- Represented life insurance companies and self-funded plans in interpleader matters involving competing claims for death benefits.
- Defended clients in discovery disputes, including briefing and oral argument on motions to compel.
- Counseled self-funded plans and plan administrators on plan design and claim review procedures.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2007, cum laude, CALI Excellence Award for Legal Writing II, Legal Writing IV, Property, Employment Discrimination and Workers’ Compensation
- University of Florida, B.S., 1999, summa cum laude
Bar Admissions : Illinois
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, Sixth Circuit, Seventh Circuit, Eighth Circuit, Ninth Circuit.
- Illinois Supreme Court
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Rate : $$$