Kimberly C. Lau is Partner and Chair of the Title IX/College Disciplinary Department of the law firm of Warshaw Burstein LLP in New York.
Her experience includes state and federal practice, trials, arbitrations, mediations and appeals. She has represented numerous students in proceedings to combat gender discrimination at major colleges and universities and regularly serves in a critical advisory role during student disciplinary proceedings.
In addition, Ms. Lau handles intra-company disputes among partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies in the hospitality, energy and real estate industries.
The core beliefs that guide her work are fairness, accountability and due process. Students seeking a resolution for their grievances on campus are entitled to a transparent and thorough process. At the same time, when male or female students go through a process in which they are presumed guilty until innocent, it runs contrary to due process, a stronghold of our American legal system.
Ms. Lau’s affiliations include the New York County Lawyers Association, the New York Women’s Bar Association, FACE (Families Advocating for Campus Equality), National Association of Professional Women, and Asian Women in Business.
She was the lead speaker for the continuing education legal program entitled: “Navigating Due Process and Title IX Issues in Campus Sexual Assault Procedures,” sponsored by Lycurgus Group, LLC in 2014.
Ms. Lau has authored numerous articles on issues affecting how colleges and universities handle sexual assault on campus, the federal privacy statutes impacting student education records, and tips for her extensive experience in handling over 100 cases in this area across the nation at both public and private education institutions.
Ms. Lau is on the Board of Advisors of FACE (Families Advocating for Campus Equality). FACE advocates for due process in college disciplinary tribunals. She regularly engages in lobbying efforts on the topic of our nation’s campus disciplinary systems in Washington D.C. with the goal of educating legislators on all perspectives, and effecting change.
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 2006
- Syracuse University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2003
- 2007, New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- New York County Lawyers Association
- New York Women’s Bar Association
- Families Advocating for Campus Equality (FACE) – Board of Advisors Member
- National Association of Professional Women
- Asian Women in Business
- Syracuse University Law Alumni Association – Board Member
Rate : $$$$