Ms. Kimberly A. Verska concentrates her practice on corporate and technology transactions as well as regulatory issues, particularly in the arena of data privacy. She has served as outsourced general counsel for numerous companies, including both established companies and start-ups.
Using the perfect balance of tenacity and refined legal analysis, she counsels business clients on data privacy/compliance and guides clients through complex domestic and cross-border commercial transactions.
Her 20 years of transactional experience cover the gamut of business transactions from inception of new businesses to international roll-out of multinational businesses. She also has wide experience with technology transactions, including matters as diverse as advising Fortune 100 companies with e-commerce sites to assisting numerous software and service providers with their licensing and consulting agreements.
With regard to cross-border transactions, Ms. Verska’s many years as an attorney in the International Group of Alston & Bird gave her broad experience in advising clients engaging in cross-border business expansions, acquisitions and dispositions, as well as the cross-border sales of products and services and licensing of intellectual property.
- Harvard Law School, J.D. Cum Laude
- Georgetown University, B.S.,Georgetown University, B.S , Summa Cum Laude
- Alston & Bird, LLP
- Sutherland, Asbill & Brennan
- Atlanta Bar Association
- International Law Section
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
Representative Experience :
- SaaS Software Licensing. Assisted online supply chain finance company in drafting and negotiating hundreds of multiparty clickwrap agreements for SaaS-based service facilitating sale of contract rights and accounts receivable in 20+ jurisdictions worldwide. Assisted electronic invoicing company in drafting and negotiating agreements for SaaS-based service offering with top U.S. buyers of the service.
- Online Auctions. Serve as outsourced general counsel to fourth largest Internet auction company in the U.S., including responsibility for all online agreements and interface with users, as well as all agreements with key partners and service providers.
- International Distribution. Drafted and negotiated agreements for sale, license and/or distribution of diverse technologies throughout the EU and South America for manufacturing companies ranging from cellphones and fiberglass, to light fixtures and diapers.
- Data Privacy and Security
- US Data Privacy and Security. Created, implemented and trained employees on a soup-to-nuts U.S. data privacy and security compliance program designed for a global luxury car manufacturer, including compliance with applicable federal and state laws (including, inter alia, FTC case-law and guidance, and the regulations under FCRA/FACTA, GLB, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, and FCC Do-Not-Call). Similar work done for many clients ranging from nationwide online bakery to local start-up in the area of digital marketing.
- US Nationwide Advice on State Law. Advised nationwide insurance brokerage and top U.S. testing company (as well as many others) on compliance with various state laws regarding data breach and encryption, as well as those on use and disclosures of SSNs.
- Security Compliance. Advised numerous clients on compliance with security standards, ranging from PCI standards through those applicable to financial institutions and their service providers under GLB and HIPAA.
- Internet and e-Commerce
- Multinational e-commerce. Assisted member of the Fortune 100 in the rollout of consumer-facing and B2B websites in over 50 countries worldwide, where website functionality had to comply with consumer e-commerce requirements in local jurisdictions.
- Storefronts and Intranets. For a multinational luxury car manufacturer (as well as others), created legal structures, agreements and compliance procedures for consumer-facing storefronts throughout North America, as well as intracompany intranet (including blogs/chats/bulletin boards) for internal communications.
- Contests (Online and Print). Advised numerous clients, both non-profit and commercial, in the creation and implementation of contests and giveaways in compliance with applicable federal and state law. Examples include: nationwide giveaways of valuable collector’s item handguns on US’s fourth largest Internet auction site, nationwide contest involving covert taping by mystery shoppers, numerous sweepstakes and giveaways by charitable organizations.
Rate : $$$