Kimberly A. Yelkin is a nationally recognized expert in government affairs and is routinely consulted by clients for her expertise in strategy and execution. Kim brings a unique blend of legal talent and business acumen to assist her clients in solving complex problems which include high-profile legislative issues, litigation avoidance and routine regulatory matters before various state agencies.
She is engaged by clients to coordinate multi-state regulatory and legislative projects to maximize their long-term competitive advantage and defend against governmental action adverse to their interests. Whether it is a project requiring immediate attention, or the development and implementation of a long-term strategy, Kim is expert at coordinating a proactive approach to issues management and strategy development and execution.
Kim not only has over 30 years of expertise in insurance and health care issues, but also represents clients in other industries who have issues with government. Her practice concentration is in administrative, regulatory, and legislative law before the Texas Legislature, the Department of Insurance, the Office of Attorney General, the Texas Department of Health, the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, the Texas Comptroller, the Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and other state agencies.
Kim serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s State and Local Public Affairs Practice and is also the Austin Office Managing Partner.
Prior to joining the firm, Kim was a Partner at Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer and Feld for 12 years. She has a wealth of experience in insurance issues having served as senior government affairs counsel for the St.
Paul Companies and associate counsel for the American Insurance Association. Prior to her tenure at the American Insurance Association, she was Deputy District Attorney in Omaha, Neb.
Born and raised in Omaha, Neb., Kim received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Duke University in 1977, and a Doctorate of Jurisprudence from Creighton University School of Law in 1980.
Kim’s representative clients include:
- Argonaut Group
- Asurion Corp.
- Benfield Inc.
- Caremark Inc.
- Catlin Group Ltd.
- Children’s Medical Center of Dallas
- Christian Care Ministry Inc.
- CNA Insurance Group
- CUNA Insurance Group
- CVS Corp.
- Electric Insurance Co. Inc.
- Dallas National Insurance Co.
- Danfoss Chatleff LLC
- Eastham Enterprises Inc.
- Fair Isaac Corp.
- Fireman’s Fund Insurance Co.
- Global Injury Funding LLC
- Grace Health System
- GS Administrators
- Highpoint Risk Services LLC
- Hochheim Prairie Insurance Cos.
- HomeWise Preferred Insurance Co.
- Ideal Settlements
- Insurance Licensing Services of America
- Leaders Life Insurance Co.
- Lexington Insurance Co.
- Merchants Information Solutions Inc.
- National Auto Care Corp.
- National Council on Compensation Insurers
- National Guaranty Insurance Co.
- National Transportation Risk Retention Group
- Preferred Restaurant Services Inc.
- Pre-Paid Legal Services Inc.
- Rainmaker Business Technologies Ltd.
- Reinsurance Association of America
- Rent-A-Center Inc.
- Risk Specialists Cos. Inc.
- R. W. Durham Insurance Agencies
- The Hanover Insurance Group Inc.
- Safeco Lloyds Insurance Co.
- Security Life Insurance Co. of America
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co.
- Valores Corporativos Softtek S.A. de C.V.
- Zurich North America
- J.D., Creighton University School of Law (1980)
- B.A., Duke University (1977)
- Texas (1991)
- Nebraska (1980)
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, State Bar of Nebraska
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Federation of Regulatory Counsel Inc.
- Secretary, Austin/San Antonio Chapter, The Texas General Counsel Forum
- Member, National Association of Professional Women
Rate : $$$