Kristen A. Matthews is a corporate associate and a member of the firm’s Insurance and Financial Institutions Group. She is a contributing author of the Insurance and Investment Management M&A Deskbook (Practising Law Institute, 2015) and co-author of Private Equity and the Insurance Industry: A Close Look at a Natural Partnership, published in the American Investment Council’s February 2019 newsletter.
Ms. Matthews joined Debevoise in 2013. Ms. Matthews received a J.D. from New York University School of Law in 2013, where she served as a senior production editor for the NYU Journal of Law and Business. She received a B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2009.
Ms. Matthews is a member of the Bar of the State of New York.
- Hamilton Insurance Group in its acquisition of Pembroke Managing Agency and Ironshore Europe DAC from Liberty Mutual.
- Resolution Life in its AUS$3.3 billion acquisition of AMP Life in Australia and New Zealand.
- Resolution Re in the reinsurance of structured settlement annuity contracts and income annuity contracts from Symetra Life Insurance Company.
- Wilton Re in its agreements to reinsure legacy comprehensive and nursing home long-term care insurance policies from Bankers Life and Casualty.
- Syncora Holdings in a reinsurance agreement with Assured Guaranty to reinsure approximately $13.5 billion of financial guaranty policies, representing 91% of Syncora’s outstanding insured exposures.
- American International Group in its $5.56 billion acquisition of Validus Group, a Bermuda-based, NYSE-listed, (re)insurance company.
- Cornell Capital as a leading investor in the $2.05 billion acquisition of Talcott Resolution, The Hartford’s run-off life and annuity businesses.
- AmTrust Financial Services in a strategic transaction with Madison Dearborn for a portion of AmTrust’s U.S. fee businesses valued at $1.15 billion.
- Wilton Re in its acquisition of Aegon Transamerica’s two largest U.S. run-off businesses.
- American International Group in several transactions with Fairfax Financial, a leading global property and casualty insurer and reinsurer, as part of a strategic partnership in 12 jurisdictions across Latin America and Central and Eastern Europe.
- AmTrust Financial Services in its $219 million acquisition of ANV Holding, a Lloyd’s platform.
- Sun Life Financial in its $975 million acquisition of Assurant’s Employee Benefits business.
- The Prudential Insurance Company of America in the sale of a group annuity contract to Kimberly-Clark Corporation.
- New York University School of Law, 2013, J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2009, B.A.
- New York
Rate : $$$