Kristin Mallatt Crall focuses her practice on patent prosecution, patent portfolio management, and related opinion work. She has particular experience with medical and surgical devices, consumer products, manufacturing systems, paper and packaging products, and water treatment. Her focused experience in the medical device industry includes joint implants (including knee, hip, and shoulder implants), craniofacial implants, spinal implants, electrical implantable devices, mechanical and prosthetic limbs, bone screws, plates, cables and clamps, various catheter technologies, ocular treatments, computer assisted surgery, surgical gloves and gowns, drug patches and delivery, heart rate monitoring, and lab testing equipment.
In addition, she has a broad mechanical background, including pool and water purification devices, food packaging, point of sale display products, textiles, marine and boating technology, aviation safety and equipment, lighting fixtures, and commercial and residential ovens.
- Represent the U.K. Ministry of Defence (MOD), which is responsible for the military and homeland security functions of the United Kingdom, and have prosecuted patent applications for aerospace, defense, biotechnology and chemical technologies. Also represents the technology transfer company affiliated with the MOD whose mission is to commercialize technologies having non-military applications.
- Represented adidas International Marketing B.V. in its acquisition of Textronics Inc. a designer and developer of bio-monitoring, wearable electronics, and e-textiles.
- Advises Porex Corporation in developing and coordinating global patent strategy, preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the areas of medical devices, polymer chemistry and inorganic chemistry for medical implants, filters, nibs, detection devices and wicks, assisting in due diligence for intellectual property matters, and managing its trademark portfolio.
- Advise worldwide food corporation on overall patent strategy, including preparation and prosecution utility and design patent applications; assist with strategic decisions on trade secret protection.
- Represents one of the world’s leading providers of lighting fixtures in providing comprehensive and aggressive patent protection. The firm works intimately with in-house patent counsel and the inventors to understand the inventions and their importance in the company’s overall business strategy. We endeavor to secure multiple layers of patent protection for key products and consider both utility and design patents when deciding how best to protect a product. We routinely conduct patentability and clearance searching so that we have a clear understanding of the state of the art. Such searching assists the client in avoiding potential patent infringement and helps us identify the truly novel features of our clients’ inventions and focus prosecution on those features. By streamlining the patenting process, we control costs and obtain patents as quickly as possible for our client so that they may be put to good use.
- Provides patent procurement and counseling services to Smith & Nephew, an industry leader in the development of advanced medical devices and implants. The company offers technically innovative products in areas such as orthopedic reconstruction and trauma, endoscopy, advanced wound management and biologics. Provide counsel and advice in all aspects of the company’s business, including helping shape its overall patent strategy. As part of this, the firm takes an active role in identifying and protecting innovations, as well as evaluating third-party intellectual property rights. Further, the firm provides counseling in connection with the company’s patent licensing and acquisition activities and has represented the company in several patent infringement matters.
- Represented Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation (OMRF) in a suit against Eli Lilly in the Western District of Oklahoma. OMRF alleged patent infringement and breach of a license agreement in connection with Eli Lilly’s sales of Xigris, the first FDA-approved drug to treat severe sepsis. The suit settled on the eve of trial after more than 60 depositions, production of more than one million pages of documents by Eli Lilly, and a Markman hearing resulting in a claim construction favorable to our client.
- Provide comprehensive patent portfolio management services for Rock-Tenn Company. Although historically, the company’s main focus has been on packaging, recently a significant emphasis has been placed on development and expanding market share for retail oriented consumer product displays in a separate division within the company. The firm has worked closely with the key technical and business personnel in the new division to form strategies that protect their innovations, control costs and achieve strategic corporate goals. Also, the firm has counseled the company relative to exploration into potential new areas for growth and provided guidance relative to protection of and clearance for crucial elements of new product lines.
- Served as lead counsel on behalf of Molnlycke Health Care Group AB in a patent infringement suit against two competitors in the Northern District of Georgia involving silicone-based wound dressings. The court entered a favorable claim construction ruling for our clients, and the case settled while summary judgment motions were pending after the manufacturer of the accused products removed them from the U.S. marketplace.
- Represented Andritz AG in the acquisition of the hydro power equipment business of General Electric, including GE’s majority interest in GE Hydro Inepar do Brasil S.A., its research, design and production facilities in Canada and a multibillion dollar contract backlog.
- Provide patent procurement and counseling services to Zodiac Aerospace, a world leader in aerospace equipment and systems for commercial, regional and business aircraft, as well as helicopters and space applications. The firm works intimately with in-house patent counsel and the inventors to understand the inventions and their importance in the company’s overall business strategy. Through these efforts, we take an active role in shaping the company’s overall patent and trademark strategy, including identifying and protecting innovations, as well as evaluating and designing around third-party intellectual property rights.
- The firm advises a major retailer about potential patent infringement issues associated with hundreds of products sold or considered for sale by the retailer that are being considered for alternative sourcing. The multi-year, fixed fee project provides the retailer a large quantity of sophisticated clearance advice very quickly and efficiently at a known cost. The project provides the firm with an opportunity to deploy unmatched patent identification and evaluation skills in a relationship that encourages sophisticated use of patent searching resources and efficient development and delivery of advice.
- University of Florida, J.D. (1999) with high honors, Order of the Coif
- University of Florida, B.S., Neurobiological Sciences (1995) with high honors
- Florida (1999)
- Georgia (2000)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (2000)
Rate : $$$