Kristina E. Van Horn’s practice focuses on antitrust, trade regulation and consumer protection. Kristina regularly represents clients on consumer protection, merger review, government investigations, and private and government antitrust litigation matters.
Prior to joining the firm, Kristina served as a staff attorney for the US Federal Trade Commission, as a judicial intern for the Hon. Jonathan C. Thacher in the Fairfax Circuit Court and as a financial consultant for ARIS Corporation of America. Kristina is admitted to practice in the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Represents a major insurance company in its defense of a federal antitrust case alleging antitrust violations under Section 1 of the Sherman Act.
- Represented Universal Music Group before the Federal Trade Commission in its $1.9 billion acquisition of the recorded music business of EMI Music. After a Second Request and an extensive investigation, the FTC voted 5-0 to close its investigation without requiring divestitures or other remedies.
- Represents clients in merger and civil investigations before the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission in various industries, including entertainment, healthcare, energy, steel, defense, transportation, grocery, consumer products, and retail goods.
- Counsels clients on antitrust and trade regulation matters, including joint ventures and competitor collaborations, price discrimination, distributor relations, and other competition related issues.
- Advises one of the world’s largest supermarket companies on numerous antitrust issues, including the antitrust implications of mergers and acquisitions.
- Counsels clients on a number of consumer protection matters, including rebate, warranty, gift card, and sweepstakes programs.
- Defended a major consumer electronics company against false advertising claims brought by a competitor before the National Advertising Division.
- Advises a major tobacco company regarding product labeling and marketing.
Advised a global toy retailer in an FTC investigation.
- Responding to a CID issued by the Maryland Attorney General regarding scientific substantiation for products sold by a major consumer health products company.
- Heartland Surgical Specialty Hospital, LLC v. Midwest Division, Inc, et al.(D. KS). Served as supporting counsel for a major insurance company defendant in a major antitrust case pending in the US D.C. for the District of Kansas against several major hospitals and managed care companies in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Our client settled out of the case in 2007.
- Represented a major recording company in its acquisition of the Spanish-language music division of a major media company. The acquisition was cleared by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Represented Delta Air Lines before the US Department of Justice in its successful acquisition of Northwest Airlines. Following a second request and extensive investigation, the DOJ closed its investigation without requiring any divestitures or other remedies.
- Represented Owens & Minor in its acquisition of McKesson Medical-Surgical.
Served as pro bono counsel to DC and Virginia residents seeking full custody of their grandchildren.
- JD, George Mason University Antonin Scalia Law School, magna cum laude, 2004
- BS, Finance, Pennsylvania State University, 2000
- District of Columbia
- Member, American Bar Association, Section on Antitrust Law
Rate : $$$