Kristine L. Roberts is an experienced business and commercial litigator who has defended banking and financial institutions in numerous trial and appellate cases in federal and state courts, as well as in private arbitrations.
Based in the Memphis office, Ms. Roberts serves on Baker Donelson’s Board of Directors and is chair of the Firm’s Financial Services Litigation & Compliance Group.
Her focus is on banking and financial institutions litigation, and she has represented clients in a wide variety of trial and appellate matters, including class actions and derivative actions, securities actions, breach of contract actions, fraud claims, breach of fiduciary duty cases, trusts and estates disputes, mortgage-related litigation, bank deposit claims, business disputes, insurance coverage matters, and other complex litigation of a commercial nature.
In representing her clients, Ms. Roberts strives to provide excellent client service in an efficient manner and to help clients successfully navigate through the challenges of litigation.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2001
- Princeton University, B.A., 1996, magna cum laude
- Tennessee, 2004
- Massachusetts, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First, Fifth, Sixth, Tenth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Districts of Western and Middle Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Obtained defense verdict in a breach of contract action tried to a jury in federal court in which the plaintiff had sought $2 million in earnout payments allegedly due under an asset purchase agreement.
- Successfully moved to dismiss multiple Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) class actions for lack of Article III standing.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a class action against a national bank in which the plaintiff alleged violations of the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Counseled client through data breach involving employees’ personal information.
- Won a directed verdict motion in a bench trial of a malicious prosecution action and successfully defended the verdict after its appeal to the Tennessee Court of Appeals.
- Successfully defended a financial institution in federal court action alleging violations of federal and state securities laws, commercial bribery, and aiding and abetting the breach of fiduciary duties.
- Won political asylum after an evidentiary hearing before the U.S. Immigration Court for a refugee who was persecuted in his home country on the basis of his ethnicity.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Fellow – Litigation Counsel of America
- Board of Directors – Memphis Area Legal Services
- Co-Chair – Content Management Committee, ABA Section of Litigation
- Baker Donelson Memphis Pro Bono Attorney of the Year (2007)
- Memphis Bar Association Leadership Forum (2007)
- Member – American, Tennessee and Memphis Bar Associations
- Member – Association of Women Attorneys
Rate : $$$