Kurt C. Peterson has guided many of the largest health plans in California and the nation through their most complex litigation, regulatory and business challenges for three decades. With a long track record of trial court and appellate wins, Kurt leads Reed Smith’s industry leading Managed Care Practice Group and is recognized by Chambers as one of America’s Leading Healthcare Attorneys.
A true “lawyer’s lawyer,” Kurt is also a nationally recognized authority on professional liability, ethics and risk management issues. He has consulted and testified in trial as an expert on standard of care and ethical issues.
He has represented over 250 law firms ranging from sole practitioners to some of the largest and best known national and international firms in California and throughout the United States.
He was featured in California Law Business articles as one of the top 25 lawyers under age 45 in the state (1993), in an article on “The Lawyers’ Lawyers” (1998), in an article on “Top 10 Defense Verdicts of 2003” (2004), and in an annual feature on “The Rainmakers.”
He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, as well as Southern California Super Lawyers. Kurt is a frequent speaker on issues relating to law firm management and participated in a management program at Columbia Business School.
Kurt has also successfully tried to verdict class actions, business disputes, and complex insurance issues for clients outside the managed care and legal industries including financial services and entertainment industry clients.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1978, J.D., Awarded in 2001 “Alumnus of the Year” by the Los Angeles Chapter of the Hastings Alumni Association
- Stanford University, 1975, B.A., Economics and Political Science
Professional Admissions & Qualifications : California
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court – Central District of California
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of California
Professional Affiliations :
- Serves on the Board of Directors of TechnoServe-nonprofit seeking business solutions to poverty in developing countries; Chairman – Development Committee
- Served on the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of The Music Center of Los Angeles County; Co Chairman – Operations Committee, Member – Finance Committee (2005-2015)
- Served on the Board of Trustees and Executive Committee of the Center for Law in the Public Interest (1999-2006)
- Served as Vice Chairman of the Legal Malpractice Subcommittee of the ABA Litigation Section from 1989 through 1992
- Represented top entertainment law firm in claims flowing from highly publicized disputes relating to rights to “The Watchmen.”
- Defended WellPoint and related entities in very high profile litigation, both class cases and individual cases, involving the rescission of individual health plans and insurance policies.
- Represented national firm in litigation flowing from claims following the death of entrepreneur Marvin Davis.
Rate : $$$