Kwon Lee is a partner in the Real Estate practice of Mayer Brown’s New York office and co-head of the US Asia Real Estate practice. He has over 20 years of experience advising on a wide range of cross-border real estate transactions.
He has advised pension funds, asset management companies, securities companies, construction companies, financial institutions and conglomerates seeking investment into large scale overseas development projects, construction loan, senior loan, sale and acquisition of various asset types, acquisition of mezzanine and B Notes.
Kwon was an investment advisor to both local and central government authorities in Korea and sat as an investment review board member to several pension funds in Korea.
In addition to working with Korean clients, he also has close working relationships with major investors and funds in Australia, China, France, Germany, Japan, Middle Eastern countries, Netherlands, Singapore, and the United States.
He is widely recognized within global real estate industry as a “deal-maker” and is often invited to act as chairperson, moderator and speaker to real estate forums in Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea and France.
He was described as “one of the most impressive real estate lawyers in Korea and a top player in the real estate market,” especially with regards to cross-border transactions, by leading legal directory Chambers & Partners. Kwon is listed as an “Eminent Practitioner” for Real Estate in South Korea by Chambers Asia Pacific (2014).
- The University of Chicago
- University of Minnesota, JD
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Admissions : New York
- Represent a Korean Asset Management in fee and leasehold financing of a major hotel asset in eastern part of the United States.
- Represented multiple Korean AMCs in separate transactions related to numerous acquisitions of a mezzanine transactions across United States.
- Represented multiple Korean AMCs in GSA leased properties located in eastern part of the United States.
- Represented multiple Korean AMCs in separate transactions in acquisition of commercial buildings in Texas.
- Represented a Korea Asset Management Company (with Korean LPs) related to a 49% equity investment for a trophy office building in New York.
- Represented a Korea Asset Management Company (with Korean LPs) on a mezzanine loan in connection with the financing of a large major corporate campus for a leading US company in the Western part of the United States.
- Represented a Korean institutional investor on tax and corporate aspects of US real estate investments.
- Represented a Korean conglomerate in the acquisition of serviced residences in the United States and Europe.
- Represented a US based asset management company and a French asset management company in outbound fund registration for investing into France, Spain, UK, the Netherlands and Germany.
- Represented a leading Mongolian based real estate company in real estate investment, finance, construction and regulatory issues.
Rate : $$$