Over his nearly 20 years with Skadden, Lance Etcheverry has developed a reputation as an aggressive litigator who is equally accomplished on both the plaintiff and the defense side of disputes. Mr. Lance Etcheverry has secured in excess of $2 billion for his clients on the plaintiff’s side, while at the same time absolving his clients of well in excess of $500 billion in liability on the defense side.
In addition to his expansive domestic and European practice, Mr. Etcheverry is a leader of Skadden’s litigation and arbitration practice for Asia-based clients and their domestic subsidiaries. Mr. Etcheverry represents clients in all facets of civil and criminal proceedings, including at trial, in arbitration hearings and on appeal.
The breadth of Mr. Etcheverry’s experience includes work for foreign and domestic clients in industries such as technology, automotive, health care, financial services, oil and gas, retail, manufacturing, sports and entertainment, where he has successfully handled high-stakes class actions, individual litigations, business disputes, securities matters, enforcement proceedings and internal investigations. Some of Mr. Etcheverry’s notable representations and achievements include:
- Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. in securing the dismissal of more than $250 billion in claims asserted in 26 class actions for product defects and violations of the Federal Wiretap Act;
- Westfield America in the dismissal of multiple class actions alleging fraud and violation of state consumer protection laws in connection with its gift card programs;
- Guardian Life Insurance Co. in the dismissal of a class action regarding the sale of so-called “vanishing premiums” policies;
- Farmers Insurance in the successful resolution of class actions brought by agents and district managers regarding the alleged failure to pay the correct level of commissions on various insurance products.
- recovery of more than $400 million on behalf of Visteon in litigation regarding funds held back as part of a large corporate transaction;
- terminating sanctions and a lucrative judgment on behalf of a prominent musician in litigation brought against a management company;
- preliminary and permanent injunctions and substantial monetary recovery on behalf of a music file sharing company following domestic litigation and international arbitration, which resulted in our adversary being placed into involuntary bankruptcy proceedings; and
- a large Hollywood studio in connection with an FBI investigation into a widespread fraud committed by its CFO and Controller;
- multiple internal investigations for a large oil producer regarding alleged FCPA violations, embezzlement and misconduct by corporate executives, and claims of intentionally overstating oil reserves.
- J.D., University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1998
- B.A., University of Nevada, 1995
Admissions : California
- American Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Board Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Los Angeles
Rate : $$$