Larry J. Bonney is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice concentrates on representing owners, sponsors, developers, sellers, buyers, lenders and other parties in a wide array of energy matters, with a particular focus on real estate and development aspects.
Mr. Bonney heads the real estate and project development group of the Energy Industry Team. He is also a member of the Finance & Financial Institutions and Real Estate Practices. To learn about his real estate-specific experience, please click here.
Mr. Bonney has extensive experience in addressing real estate and title issues arising in the acquisition, development, construction and financing of wind, solar and other renewable energy projects across the U.S., as well as conventional projects (including cogeneration facilities).
This includes acquisition of real estate interests and development rights, permitting, and pre-acquisition, pre-construction or pre-finance land and development rights and entitlements review and audit. Mr. Bonney has worked on projects in all regions of the U.S. totaling several billion dollars in development costs.
- Represented Exelon in $900 million acquisition of Deere Renewables, with an established wind portfolio of 36 operating wind farms totaling 735 MWs of installed wind capacity, as well as three additional near-term projects totaling 230 MW and 1.5 GW of early and mid-stage projects. The transaction was named “Best M&A Deal” in 2010 by Institutional Investor’s Power Financing & Risk Newsletter.
- Represented a major U.S. renewable energy company in the purchase and project development of a 33 MW wind energy project in Maryland
- Represented a major European renewable energy company in project development and financing of $250 million wind energy project in North Dakota and South Dakota
- Represented a major European renewable energy company in early to mid-stage development of wind energy projects in 15 states, including California, Kansas, Iowa, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, Wyoming and New York, with over 2000 MW of development potential
- Represented a major U.S. renewable energy company in the acquisition and development of a 27 MW wind energy project in New Mexico
- Represented a Midwest utility in connection with the turnkey development and construction, and ultimate financing, for a 99 MW wind energy project in Iowa
- Represented leading Midwest based utility in its acquisition of a nearly 600 MW combined cycle generating facility in Wisconsin
- Represented non-regulated subsidiary of a leading Midwest based utility in establishing compressed natural gas stations in several states
A native of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, Mr. Bonney graduated from University of Michigan Law School, cum laude, in 1988, and Luther College, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, in 1985. As a two-time academic All American while at Luther College, Mr. Bonney received an NCAA postgraduate scholarship.
Admissions and Professional Memberships :
He is a member of the Real Estate and Business Law Sections of the State Bar of Wisconsin, and the Real Estate Section of both the Milwaukee Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Representative Matters :
- Public offering of $450 million of senior notes supported by collateral bonds.
- Foley represented Wisconsin Public Service Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of NYSE listed Integrys Energy Group, Inc., in a $300 million offering of its senior notes (fading lien since have collateral first mortgage bonds to start).
- Served as underwriter’s counsel for City of Marshfield’s negotiated sale and issuance of $28,090,000 Electric System Revenue Bonds, Series 2010A and $28,090,000 Taxable Electric System Revenue Bond Anticipation Notes, Series 2010B, for a new electric generation facility.
- Provided assistance concerning underwriter’s due-diligence responsibilities and advice concerning the issuer’s official statement.
Rate : $$$$