Laura Edrington is the Managing Partner of Locke Lord’s Houston office and Chair of the Firm’s Corporate Trust practice. Her practice focuses on the representation of financial institutions in connection with public finance, bonds, securitizations, real estate, and commercial lending. She is also a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors.
Through the years, Laura has worked on hundreds of asset securitization transactions including offerings of collateralized loan obligations, collateralized debt obligations and collateralized bond obligations.
Laura has extensive experience structuring financial transactions, including REMICs and Collateralized Mortgage Obligations, and has represented trustees in numerous taxable and tax-exempt financings, including commercial properties, multi-family and single-family housing, asset based, and corporate debt securities.
After spending the first few years of her career representing buyers/sellers and lessors/lessees in commercial real estate transactions, Laura has spent the past 20 years focusing on advising financial institutions that provide corporate trust and related services in their various roles such as trustee, collateral agent, collateral administrator, custodian, escrow agent and back-up servicer.
In her representation of financial institutions, Laura has advised on new transactions and post-closing issues such as defaults, amendments, redemptions, refinancings, collateral manager assignments and appointments of successor trustees.
Laura is well-recognized as a leader in representing trustees in connection with events of default. She has played a crucial role negotiating and advising trustees in connection with enforcement rights, including foreclosure sales and liquidations.
Having worked on hundreds of defaulted transactions, Laura is well-known and respected for her skills in negotiating on behalf of trustees with key parties including issuers, investors, credit enhancement providers, insurers and collateral managers.
Financial institutions regularly seek Laura’s advice in connection with complex financial structures both in negotiating documents for new issuances as well as in connection with dispute resolution. Due to her in-depth knowledge, financial institutions frequently request her advice in developing and improving internal policies and practices. In addition, counsel representing other principal parties often ask for her guidance on new products and structures.
- Represented trustees in over a hundred defaulted bond transactions, including managing liquidation of assets.
- Represented trustees in numerous taxable and tax-exempt financings including securities secured by commercial properties, multifamily housing and single-family housing, asset based securities and corporate debt securities.
- Represented trustees in numerous redemptions and amendments to existing financings.
- Represented buyers/sellers and lessors/lessees in commercial real estate transactions.
- Represented financial institution in the disposition of over 400 foreclosed properties.
Professional History :
- Managing Partner, Houston Office of Locke Lord
- Former Co-Hiring Partner, Houston Office of Locke Lord
- Leader, Locke Lord Corporate Trust Section
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Member, Locke Lord Board of Directors
Professional Affiliations :
- Member, Structured Finance Industry Group
- Member, American Securitization Forum (ASF)
- Member, American Bankers Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1988
- M.B.A., University of Houston, 1988
- B.B.A., Texas A&M University, 1983
Admissions : Texas, 1989
Rate : $$$