Clients call on Laura Johnson Evans when they need a health care lawyer who is experienced in the everyday, operational aspects of the industry. After litigating complex health care, toxic tort, and product liability cases for seven years, Laura served as in-house counsel for Roper St. Francis Healthcare, a Charleston-based health care system including two acute care hospitals, as well as numerous ancillary facilities and physician practices. While in-house, she oversaw a wide variety of corporate matters, which include:
- Corporate contracting
- Certificate of need
- Physician integration
- Corporate compliance
- Medical staff issues
She also participated in risk management, bioethics, and payor contracting matters. The health care system was self-insured, with a self-insured trust, which impacted the reserving and handling of the system’s litigation matters, all of which she oversaw.
After serving in-house, Laura re-entered private practice and dedicated herself to providing counsel to a wide variety of health care providers, though she still litigates non-health care cases for long-time clients. Because she has such a wide variety of provider clients, her work is rich and varied.
Laura is certified as a mediator/arbitrator in the State of South Carolina and a certified neutral by the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA). Laura is dedicated to pro bono service, having led the Charleston County Bar’s response to the Mother Emanuel tragedy (which provided over 1500 hours of pro bono legal assistance to the victims’ families and survivors) for which she was named the South Carolina Bar Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year.
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1994
- B.A., International Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1991
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- American College of Healthcare Executives
- South Carolina Bar – Health Care Division Executive Council
- Charleston County Bar (Executive Council, 2001 – 2002)
- Medical Group Management Association
- Ellevate Charleston (Executive Counsel)
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill Women’s Leadership Council
Rate : $$$