Laura E. Jehl is a partner in the firm’s Privacy and Data Protection practice, and serves as co-leader of the firm’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) initiative and its Blockchain Technologies and Digital Currencies team.
Her practice focuses on the intersection of data, law and emerging technologies, and she is ranked by Chambers USA as a leader in her field. Chambers cites clients praising her “extremely good judgement and deep experience in major cybersecurity issues.”
Laura has extensive experience handling complex cyber incidents, including several of the largest data breaches ever reported, affecting high-profile clients in the healthcare, internet and hospitality sectors.
She has directed forensic investigations, advised on notification of U.S. and international regulators, and led sensitive interactions with law enforcement and national security agencies related to these incidents.
Laura also represents companies facing regulatory investigations and enforcement actions involving both privacy and security practices, and helps clients respond to requests from U.S. government agencies for personal data.
Her role as co-founder and leader of the firm’s national Blockchain Technologies and Digital Currencies Team has Laura advising clients on a wide variety of legal and regulatory issues presented by the emergence of blockchain technologies, cryptocurrencies and digital identity solutions.
She also advises companies on the legal issues associated with blockchain technologies, from smart contracts and personal identity solutions to complying with SEC guidelines on digital currencies. With extensive experience as a senior in-house lawyer and business-side executive, Laura understands the business, legal and technological challenges and opportunities that her clients face.
Chambers reports that clients praise Laura’s “excellent rapport” and her “holistic, big-picture approach” to advising them on privacy and data security issues and helping them meet regulatory requirements while incorporating practical, creative, trusted and valuable business solutions.
- Advised global hospitality company in connection with response to major data security incident that potentially exposed the personal information of up to 500 million guests at hotel properties. Engagement included advice on compliance with U.S. and international data protection and data breach notification regulations, including EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Advised numerous clients on preparation for compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act, including advocacy related to development of implementing regulations.
- Represented a prominent internet company in complex and sensitive interactions with federal and international law enforcement related to major state-sponsored cyber incident.
- Advised several blockchain industry clients on GDPR and CCPA compliance, particularly related to the interaction between the immutability of distributed ledger technology, GDPR’s right of erasure and CCPA’s right of deletion.
- Developed federal policy strategy for blockchain-enabled global payments company on federal and state legislative, regulatory and policy issues relating to cryptocurrencies.
- Negotiated complex, comprehensive, multi-party relationship for development and marketing of artificial intelligence solutions in the healthcare industry.
- Played a formative role in the development of internet law, most notably the internet service provider (ISP) immunity provisions of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act and the development of internet privacy policies and protections.
Memberships : International Association of Privacy Professionals, Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude
- B.A., Political Science, University of California, Berkeley, University and Departmental Highest Honors, John Gardner Fellowship for Public Service
Admissions : District of Columbia, California
Rate : $$$$