Laura R. Kaufman does more than advise and represent clients in connection with employment and traditional labor – she passionately advocates for them. An experienced practitioner in the field, she frequently helps employers avoid litigation with proactive prevention, counseling and mediation efforts. That approach has inspired a strong arbitration practice in a range of industries, particularly media, healthcare and hospitality.
Laura regularly represents employees in alternative dispute resolution proceedings, and is experienced in litigating before administrative bodies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), as well as state administrative agencies and in state and federal court.
A comprehensive counsel, Laura also advises human resources and legal departments on all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, leaves of absence, religious and disability accommodation, labor relations, and compliance with employment and labor laws. Additionally, she is a respected source for guidance on every step of the employment process, from recruitment to post-termination issues.
- Served as lead negotiator on a first collective bargaining agreement for a security company.
- Reached favorable outcome with a local jurisdiction in regards to its paid time off ordinance and investigations.
- Regularly updates employer policies and handbooks consistent with prevailing state, local and federal laws and regulations.
- Represented a major healthcare industry client in collective bargaining and labor arbitrations with several units.
- Represented public accommodations in response to claims of architectural and procedural barriers to access.
- Negotiated collective bargaining agreements on behalf of clients in a wide range of industries including media, hospitality and healthcare.
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2010; Notes Editor, Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law; Dean’s List; Merit Scholarship; Phi Delta Phi; V.P. of Operations, Women Law Students Association; Vanderbilt University Ms. J.D. Liaison; Vanderbilt Scholastic Excellence
- B.A., Political Science, University of Rochester, 2005
- B.A., Health and Society, University of Rochester, 2005, high distinction
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$