Laura J. Maechtlen is the National Chair of the Labor & Employment Department and Co-Chair of the Firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Action Team. Her practice is focused on employment litigation and includes the defense of class, collective and multi-plaintiff actions. Ms. Maechtlen also has experience litigating against the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) in systemic actions, both at the early charge stage and in large-scale EEOC pattern-and-practice litigation.
Ms. Maechtlen has California state court trial experience. She has been a member of multiple trial teams that have secured defense verdicts in the California Superior Courts in the counties of San Francisco, Alameda and Santa Clara. She also routinely handles arbitrations, often securing favorable rulings from arbitrators.
In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Maechtlen also provides day-to-day counseling and advice to clients about the various laws affecting the employment relationship. She also regularly reviews employer policies for compliance under state and federal law.
Ms. Maechtlen is a member of Seyfarth Shaw’s Retail and Hospitality Industry Practice Groups. She also handles litigation for, and provides counseling to clients, in a variety of other industries, including logistics and transportation, airline transportation, construction, financial and professional services, restaurant, temporary staffing and technology.
Ms. Maechtlen speaks and publishes regularly on a variety of employment law and litigation topics, and issues regarding diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, and has been quoted on those topics by the San Francisco Chronicle, Reuters, The Recorder, Vogue, The Daily Journal, the Insurance Journal, CIO.com, Employment Law 360, and others. She has also served as a contributing editor to multiple editions of The Fair Labor Standards Act (ABA) and The Developing Labor Law (BNA).
- J.D., Boston University School of Law (2002)
- Silvia Bieckne Robinson Award
- B.A., University of Colorado, Boulder (1998)
- Political Science and Music
- California Minority Counsel Program, Board of Directors (Co-Chair, Board of Directors, 2016-present; member, 2014-2015)
- Board of Directors, Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom (BALIF) Foundation (2014-present)
- National Lesbian Gay Law Association Board of Directors (Immediate Past President 2010-2011, President 2008-2010, Incoming President 2007-2008)
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Section, EEO Committee)
Rate : $$$$