Laura L. Mays practices in the areas of insurance defense, medical practice defense, products liability, premise liability, employment litigation, and toxic tort litigation. She has appellate experience in both state and federal appellate courts. Ms. Mays has extensive experience defending management and corporate clients against employment-related claims.
She has litigated numerous discrimination and retaliation claims arising from Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Whistleblower Act, the Kentucky Civil Rights Act, the Kentucky Workers’ Compensation Act and other federal, state, and local employment-related statues. She has experience with injunctive proceedings, evidentiary hearings, mediations and arbitrations, and appellate work.
In addition to employment litigation, Ms. Mays works alongside employers to guide them through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission investigative process after charges are filed. She provides strategic advice and counsel on all aspects of employment relationships, including executive and employment agreements, audits, training, employee handbooks and policies, and compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws.
- Defended manufacturer against toxic tort claims in the Eastern District of Kentucky in two separate trials
- Obtained defense verdict for Kentucky nursing home wrongful discharge claims relating to former employees report of abuse and neglect of a resident
- Received defense verdict for western Kentucky manufacturer against wrongful discharge claim
- Represented municipal entity against workers’ compensation retaliation claim
- Defended a service company against FMLA and ADA claims in the Eastern District of Kentucky
- Represented a service company in a workers’ compensation retaliation claim
- J.D. University of Kentucky, cum laude
- B.S. Georgetown College, summa cum laude
- Mentor, Kentucky Legal Education Opportunity
- Troop Leader, Girl Scouts of America
- Board of Directors, American Red Cross, Bluegrass Chapter (2010-2015)
Rate : $$$