Lauren Aguiar represents U.S. and international clients in litigation and arbitration involving a wide range of civil matters. Her experience includes federal and state court litigation, with a focus on complex, high-profile cases and trial practice.
Ms. Aguiar has represented clients in a variety of industries, as both plaintiffs and defendants, in cases involving false advertising, copyright, trademark, trade secret, breach of contract, fraud and fiduciary duty litigation, and joint venture and partnership disputes.
Ms. Aguiar also regularly litigates and advises on private wealth law issues and high-profile trust and estate matters on behalf of individual and institutional trustees, executors, banks, beneficiaries, family offices and high-net-worth clients.
She has handled a broad array of disputes in Surrogate’s and other courts, including probate contests, trust litigation and accounting matters. Some of the more significant matters in which she has been involved include:
- trial counsel for International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc. in a case involving allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition and breach of contract;
- litigation counsel for Fresh Del Monte Produce, Inc. in various ongoing lawsuits and arbitrations to protect its global trademarks, licensing rights and supply contracts, including a successful ICDR arbitration securing Fresh Del Monte’s rights to trademarks for new range of Middle East-based businesses and a successful jury trial against Del Monte Corporation involving false advertising and breach-of-contract claims. This trial victory was featured in Law360’s “How They Won It” column (May 23, 2012);
- counsel for Endo Pharmaceuticals in an action against Chartwell Therapeutics, arising out of a generic pharmaceutical distribution agreement;
- trial counsel for pharmaceutical company Impax Laboratories, Inc. in the Southern District of New York, resulting in a favorable settlement of the litigation;
- member of the trial team in federal and state class action litigation in California for a global automobile manufacturer regarding widely publicized vehicle recalls;
- represented Spectrum Brands, Inc. in its successful trial in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Texas involving a consortium of lenders;
- trial counsel to an aviation security company in an action against the federal government asserting a takings claim under the Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, culminating in a bench trial in the United States Court of Federal Claims.
Over the years, she also has done a substantial number of internal investigations and compliance reviews, concerning allegations of securities fraud, accounting fraud, violations of the FCPA and insider trading. Ms. Aguiar is the chairperson of the Skadden Foundation, which runs the Skadden Fellowship Program.
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 1995 (Managing Editor, Annual Survey of American Law)
- B.A., Connecticut College, 1990 (magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Board of Directors, Access to Justice Lab, Harvard Law School
- Board of Directors, Covenant House International (2012-Present)
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, New York Lawyers for the Public Interest (2007-Present)
- Board of Legal Advisors, Legal Momentum (2007-2011)
- Institutional Review Board, The Population Council (2007-2010)
- Board of Directors, National Center for Law and Economic Justice (2006-2009)
Rate : $$$$