Lauren M. Hilsheimer’s practice focuses primarily on complex litigation. She utilizes her analytical background to efficiently and effectively meet her clients’ needs. Lauren was named an Ohio Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in 2012, and from 2014 to 2018.
Since 2009, Lauren has been a key member of the BakerHostetler team serving as court-appointed counsel to the Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) Trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC (BLMIS), an unprecedented recovery effort involving hundreds of adversary proceedings.
Lauren paused her career at the law firm for one year to clerk for the Honorable Judge Algenon Marbley in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, where she gained invaluable insight into how the federal courts work. She frequently defends clients in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, often obtaining early dismissal.
- Successfully opposed a motion for an interlocutory appeal where approximately $149 million in transfers were at issue. (S.D.N.Y.)
- Successfully moved to dismiss complaint alleging vicarious copyright infringement against multinational technology company. (S.D. Ohio)
- Defending a fitness center operator in a putative class action alleging violations of Ohio statutes. (S.D. Ohio, Sixth Circuit)
- Defended mortgage owner and servicer against an action alleging violations of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA) in federal court. (S.D. Ohio)
- American Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Academy Board of Trustees (2017 to present), Development Committee Member (2017 to present)
- Columbus Academy Alumni Board, President (2017 to present)
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law: Rising Professionals Council (2014 to present)
- Pelotonia Participant (2009 to present)
- Black Tie Ball, benefiting Nationwide Children’s Behavioral Health Services: Board Member (2010 to 2014)
- J.D., The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, 2009; Managing Editor, The Ohio State Law Journal, “But She Spoke in an Un-Ladylike Fashion!: Parsing through the Standards of Evidentiary Admissibility in Civil Lawsuits after the 1994 Amendments to the Rape Shield Law” (Vol. 70, No. 3)
- B.S., Engineering Science, Vanderbilt University, 2006, focus on Civil and Environmental Engineering, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Rate : $$$$