A member of the White Collar and Corporate Investigations team, Lauren J. Resnick focuses her practice on white collar and commercial litigation. A former assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York, Computer Crimes and Intellectual Property Section chief, and two-time recipient of the Department of Justice (DOJ) Director’s Award for Superior Performance, Lauren is regularly retained by executive management and audit committees of Fortune 500 corporations to conduct internal investigations on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), anti-money laundering (AML), trade sanctions and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), securities fraud, accounting, and employment matters, and to advise on regulatory compliance issues.
In advising and defending companies on these matters, she leverages her experience directing numerous monitorships in connection with Baker Hostetler’s appointment by the Department of Justice and other governmental agencies to assess compliance at banking institutions, labor unions, corporations and municipalities, as well as her extensive trial experience.
A member of the BakerHostetler team serving as counsel to the Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) Trustee for the liquidation of the largest Ponzi scheme in history, Lauren supervised the extensive financial reconstruction of the decades-long operations of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC for the ongoing liquidation and litigation proceedings.
Lauren serves as the firmwide client relationship partner, providing guidance and direction to ensure that the firm is focused on identifying clients’ needs and developing sound solutions to maintain and increase the firm’s presence in the legal marketplace.
- Advised a European-based manufacturing company on U.S. government access to electronic communications maintained in cloud-based storage.
- Conducted FCPA and securities fraud investigations for an international financial services company and advised on remediation plans.
- Represented an international hedge fund accountant in a Securities and Exchange Commission and U.K. Financial Services Authority investigation of accounting and securities practices.
- Represented a witness in a DOJ investigation of criminal kickback violations for Medicare referrals to privately managed healthcare facilities.
- Conducted an internal investigation of medical school laboratory research procedures to facilitate OFAC disclosure and related government contracts issues.
- Primary author of a motion to dismiss based on prosecutorial misconduct that secured the unprecedented dismissal of a 73-count state fraud and money laundering indictment against the former CEO of a half-billion-dollar commercial real estate conglomerate.
- Represented a client in criminal prosecution for wire fraud and money laundering in connection with $30 million of escrowed funds. Obtained a favorable disposition following the successful litigation of key evidentiary issues for trial.
- Supervised lawyers and forensic specialists reporting directly to the government and banking regulators on the bank’s anti-money laundering compliance program in connection with the firm’s appointment as the independent examiner of a non-prosecution agreement between the DOJ and the Bank of New York.
- Association of the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York: Board Member
- NYC Citizens Crime Commission: Board Member
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1990, cum laude
- B.A., Brown University, 1987, magna cum laude
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1991
Rate : $$$$