Laurence S. Kurthj serves as managing partner of Akerman’s San Antonio office. Board Certified as a Civil Trial Lawyer by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, he has a broad-based commercial litigation practice with a focus on insurance disputes.
Larry has significant experience in policy drafting, interpretation, fraud, malpractice, and coverage matters. His clients include both multinational corporations and top 50 insurance companies.
In addition to his insurance practice, Larry represents clients across a range of sectors, including transportation, healthcare, and government in commercial disputes, products liability, personal injury, property damage, and contracts, among other business disputes.
With a prolific practice in state and federal courts, Larry has appeared before virtually every sitting judge in Bexar County, from J.P. Courts to the Fourth Court of Appeals. Larry has conducted jury trials from Houston to Brownsville, to San Antonio to Austin, and most of the counties in between.
Larry serves as Chairman of the University Health System Foundation and on the Board of the Consejo Educational Foundation, as well as the San Antonio Fiesta Commission. He has served as President of the Fiesta Commission. He is also the former President of the American Indian Law Section of the State Bar of Texas.
- J.D., St. Mary’s University School of Law, 1981, Articles Editor, St. Mary’s Law Journal
- B.A., College of Wooster, Urban Planning, 1976
Bar Admissions : Texas; Colorado; Oklahoma
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Oklahoma
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University Health Systems Foundation, Board of Directors, Chairman
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member
- State Bar College, Member
- San Antonio Bar Association, Fellow
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity, Member
- Bexar County Bar Association, Member
- Travis County Bar Association, Member
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Colorado Bar Association, Member
- American Indian Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Former President
- International Association of Arson Investigators, Member
- A Texas Advisory Counsel on Arson (ATAC), Member
Rate : $$$