Larry Urgenson is a co-leader of the firm’s Global Anti-Corruption & FCPA practice. Larry is widely recognized as one of the preeminent FCPA authorities in the United States. He has represented corporate and individual clients in FCPA and anti-corruption matters worldwide for nearly four decades. As noted in Chambers, Larry is “a brilliant lawyer and a leading light at the FCPA Bar.” (Chambers USA 2016).
He “is highly esteemed for his FCPA practice, which includes advising on statutory compliance and corporate representation in government investigations” (USA 2015), is “known for his experience in high-stakes investigations” (USA 2013) and “offers incredible knowledge in the FCPA area . . . he has great judgment” (USA 2012). Clients praise Larry and state that, “There simply isn’t a more client-sensitive strategist out there” (Chambers Global 2016).
Larry was named Benchmark Litigation Star in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. He was also recognized nationally as one of 8 FCPA Masters at the first annual Main Justice Best FCPA Lawyers Client Service Awards in 2013. Additionally, he is a sought-after writer and speaker on white collar matters and is currently the Chairman of the Board of Editors of the Business Crimes Bulletin.
Prior to joining private practice, Larry held key leadership positions at the US Department of Justice (DOJ). As the DOJ’s Acting Deputy Assistant Attorney General, he primarily supervised the Fraud Section, General Litigation and Legal Advice Section, and Office of Policy and Management Analysis.
Additionally, he testified before various congressional committees regarding the Department’s white collar crime initiatives. He also served as the DOJ’s Chief of the Fraud Section for the Criminal Division, where he advised US Attorneys on white collar crime issues, supervised the prosecution of bank, securities, and defense procurement frauds, and oversaw the FCPA Unit and the Defense Procurement Fraud Unit.
Earlier in his career, Larry served as a Chief Assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. Larry received the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service and the Edmund J. Randolph award for Outstanding Service.
- Brooklyn Law School, JD, cum laude
- City College of the City University of New York, BBA
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Chairman, Board of Editors of the Business Crimes Bulletin (present)
- Vice Chairman, American Bar Association, Committee on White Collar Crime (1992-93)
- Vice Chairman, Chief Judge’s Committee on Criminal Litigation, Eastern District of New York (1985-1988)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member, Criminal Advocacy and Criminal Operations Committees (1982-1984)
- Federal Bar Council, Member, Planning Committee (1984-1985)
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Trial Advocacy, Brooklyn Law School (1986-1989)
- Represented one of the largest engineering companies in the world, with an annual revenue of more than $27 billion and operations in more than 100 countries, in connection with an investigation and deferred prosecution agreement with the DOJ and SEC. This was one of the first cases to result in a self-monitoring provision, avoiding an expensive outside monitor requirement.
- Represented the world’s largest food processor and marketer of beef and poultry in connection with the investigation and deferred prosecution agreement.
- Represented one of the world’s largest providers of risk management services and insurance in connection with resolving investigations by the DOJ and UK authorities, including a non-prosecution agreement from the DOJ.
- Represented a top global management consulting, and technology services in a FCPA internal investigation and DOJ/SEC voluntary disclosures, which were resolved without enforcement action.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in a DOJ/SEC FCPA investigation, resulting in successful close without enforcement action.
- Spearheaded FCPA due diligence and DOJ/SEC notification plan on acquisition of worldwide reinsurance corporation resulting in successful on-time closing.
- Represented a senior executive from one of the top offshore drilling contractors in the world.
- Represented an Executive Vice President of a global telecommunications company.
Rate : $$$