LaVerne Woods chairs the firm’s Tax-Exempt Organizations (TEO) group. She has over 25 years of experience in working with the nonprofit sector and is a frequent writer and speaker in the area both nationally and regionally. Her practice spans a broad range of issues affecting charities, including federal tax exemption, governance, endowment management, mergers, and joint ventures.
She has a special interest in health care, social entrepreneurism, and international philanthropy. LaVerne represents organizations across the nonprofit spectrum, including: family and corporate foundations, community foundations, supporting organizations, global health and relief organizations, hospitals, health plans, colleges and universities, research institutes, charitable trusts, social service and arts organizations, trade associations, and government agencies.
Professional & Community Activities:
- Past Chair, Exempt Organizations Committee, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Co-chair, Private Foundations Subcommittee, Exempt Organizations Committee, Section of Taxation, American Bar Association
- Past Chair, Board of Advisors, National Center on Philanthropy and the Law, New York University Law School
- Co-convener, Legal Work Group advising the Independent Sector’s Panel on the Nonprofit Sector
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Past Chair, Nonprofit Corporations Committee, Business Section, Washington State Bar Association
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1983, cum laude
- Fulbright Scholar, Dakar, Senegal
- B.A., Yale University, 1978, summa cum laude
Rate : $$$