Lawrence R. Hamilton leads Mayer Brown’s US insurance regulatory practice within the Insurance Industry group. He advises insurance companies, insurance agencies and investment companies on a broad range of regulatory matters, including those associated with formation, licensing, portfolio investments, reinsurance, e-commerce, cybersecurity and outsourcing. He is also a member of Mayer Brown’s Cybersecurity & Data Privacy practice.
Larry has a 50-state insurance regulatory practice and has extensive experience negotiating directly with insurance regulators, helping clients overcome regulatory obstacles and gain approval for their proposed forms of business arrangements.
He advises clients in connection with corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, reserve financings, insurance-linked securities, pension risk transfers and public and private offerings of securities.
Larry also advises on regulatory issues relating to the nonadmitted insurance market, and he is a member of the Surplus Lines Law Group and the Legislative Committee of the Wholesale & Specialty Insurance Association (WSIA).
Larry is also part of Mayer Brown’s Insurance and Capital Markets Convergence subgroup, which uses the combined talents of the firm’s insurance and structured finance practitioners to ensure that transactions take into account the customs and expectations of both markets.
He regularly advises US and European financial institutions on the insurance regulatory issues associated with complex capital market and derivative structures, including techniques such as credit derivatives, “transformer” vehicles, collateral trusts and special purpose reinsurance companies.
- The University of Chicago Law School, JD, with honors
- Harvard College, AB, summa cum laude
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Visiting Committee to the University of Chicago Divinity School, 2012 to date
- American Bar Association
- Represented Everest Reinsurance Holdings, Inc. in the sale of Mt. McKinley Insurance Company to Clearwater Insurance Company, an affiliate of Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited.
- Represented Assured Guaranty Ltd. in its $810 million acquisition of Radian Asset Assurance Inc., a US-based provider of financial guaranty insurance and reinsurance, from Radian Group Inc.
- Represented Bristol-Myers Squibb in a $1.4 billion pension de-risking transaction with The Prudential.
- Represented Wells Fargo Insurance in the sale of 42 of its regional insurance brokerage and consulting locations to USI Insurance Services.
- Represented Everest Re Group, Ltd. In the launch of its $370 million sidecar, Mt. Logan Re, Ltd.
- Represented Assured Guaranty, Ltd. in the acquisition of Municipal and Infrastructure Assurance Corporation, a financial guaranty insurer.
- Represented Everest Reinsurance Holdings in the acquisition of Heartland Crop Insurance, Inc., a specialty underwriter of crop insurance.
- Represented Assured Guaranty Corp. in the acquisition of the US public finance business of CIFG Assurance North America, Inc.
- Represented Assured Guaranty, Ltd. in the $722 million acquisition of the financial guaranty insurance business of Financial Security Assurance Holdings Ltd.
- Represented UnitedHealth Group Incorporated in the sale of the $1.8 billion life and annuity business of its Golden Rule subsidiary to OneAmerica Financial Partners, Inc.
Rate : $$$