Lawrence Harris Heftman is a trial lawyer and commercial litigator. Larry has litigated high stakes complex commercial disputes throughout the country with a strong record of success in jury and bench trials. He focuses on fiduciary and class action litigation frequently involving financial institutions.
Larry has particular experience in fiduciary litigation involving trustees, executors, and officers and directors. Larry has litigated a wide range of trust and estate matters involving trust construction, distribution disputes, contested estates, guardianship, undue influence, and trust investment decisions.
On behalf of financial institutions, Larry has defended claims for breach of fiduciary duty regarding trustee and lending decisions, as well as Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and Fair Debt Collection violations. On the plaintiff side, Larry has enforced lender’s rights in loan and foreclosure disputes, conducted underwriting and fraud investigations and prosecuted claims to enforce financial institution bonds.
Consumer Class Actions:
Larry has also worked on a wide range of consumer class actions alleging unfair and deceptive business practices, TCPA, and breach of contract claims. He has defended insurance, financial institution, and telecommunications clients against consumer class actions, leading to dismissal of claims or favorable settlements.
- Represented a Fortune 500 financial institution in four-week jury trial resulting in a complete trial victory, successfully defeating claims for more than $65 million in damages and obtaining a judgment for more than $1.2 million for his client.
- Prosecuted director & officer claims leading to multimillion dollar verdict after several week jury trial in California.
- Represented a real estate seller in multi-week bench trial, defeating claims of breach of contract and for specific performance, achieving a complete victory resulting in full recovery to client on counterclaim.
- Won summary judgment defending trustee of $150+ million trust against breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by a state attorney general and contingent beneficiaries.
- Defeated multimillion dollar fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claim on behalf of Fortune 100 financial institution. Won motion to dismiss with prejudice, avoiding any discovery cost to his client.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2004
- Emory University, B.A., 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Rate : $$$$