Mr. Lawrence S. Lustberg Co-Chairs the Gibbons Commercial & Criminal Litigation Department, leading the Criminal Defense practice, and is a longtime Director of the firm’s John J. Gibbons Fellowship in Public Interest & Constitutional Law, which litigates historic, cutting-edge civil rights and civil liberties cases.
Prior to joining the firm as its first Gibbons Fellow, he served as an Assistant Federal Public Defender for the District of New Jersey for five years; he previously served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable H. Lee Sarokin, United States District Judge.
Mr. Lustberg is the former president of both the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey and Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, each of which has awarded him its highest honor—the William J. Brennan, Jr. Award and Honorable Lawrence A. Whipple Memorial Award, respectively.
Mr. Lustberg is also former Co-Chair of the Criminal Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association. He has served on, and chaired, numerous court, government and bar association committees, as well as non-profit and philanthropic boards, and he has been a member of the faculties of Seton Hall, Rutgers, and New York University Law Schools.
Mr. Lustberg is a recognized authority in constitutional and criminal law and procedure, responsible for many seminal federal and state court decisions in a broad range of cases, and is a Fellow of both the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is also a Lifetime Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
In addition to those from the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey and the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, Mr. Lustberg is the recipient of numerous honors from organizations such as the New Jersey Institute for Social Justice, the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, the American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey, Legal Services of New Jersey, Garden State Equality, Partners for Women and Justice, and the Essex County Bar Association, among others.
- Harvard Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- Harvard University (B.A., magna cum laude)
- Stockholm University Graduate School of International Studies (Sweden) (Rector’s Degree)
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- American Academy of Appellate Lawyers
- New Jersey Commission on Government Efficiency and Reform
- Sentencing/Corrections Task Force
- Chairman, Subcommittee on Corrections, Probation and Parole Practices (2007-present)
- Third Circuit Bar Association Steering Committee (2006-present)
- Governor’s Council on HIV/AIDS and Related Bloodborne Pathogens (2003-present)
- Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey (2003-2004)
- Historical Society of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (1999-present)
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Education Law Center, Inc. (1994-present)
- Vice Chair (1995-2000)
Rate : $$$$