Lee S. Brenner, chair of Venable’s Entertainment and Media Litigation Group, is a trial attorney and business litigator. With numerous published decisions in his career, Lee is a proven litigator with deep experience in the media and entertainment industry, particularly in the areas of defamation, copyright law, idea theft, credit disputes, privacy, intellectual property, and right of publicity.
He also has developed significant experience regarding defamation by anonymous posters on the Internet. He has an extensive background in handling high-stakes business disputes.
Lee is a recognized leader among his peers. He is co-editor of the Communications Lawyer, the American Bar Association’s publication on media and First Amendment law.
A sought-after speaker and educator, Lee speaks regularly to clients and professional groups on the subjects of defamation, right of publicity, copyright, idea submission, and privacy. Lee is also dedicated to community service. Notably, he has performed pro bono counsel and trial work regarding First Amendment issues.
- Obtained the dismissal of a $10 million copyright infringement lawsuit relating to a television comedy series. The plaintiffs alleged the series infringed several of their works. The case was dismissed with prejudice at the pleading stage on the grounds that the plaintiffs failed to state a plausible claim of access, as well as substantial similarity
- Successfully defended against claims involving invasion of privacy regarding celebrity sex tape by employing California’s anti-SLAPP statute
- Obtained a dismissal of a $200 million copyright infringement claim relating to a popular cable television series. The case was affirmed by the 9th Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals
- Obtained a summary judgment against copyright, Lanham Act, and state unfair competition claims on the basis that the use of the plaintiff’s artwork constituted “fair use” and that plaintiff failed to show that he had a valid, protectable trademark; attorneys’ fees were awarded to the client. Affirmed by the Ninth Circuit in August 2013
- Obtained a dismissal of fraud and breach of contract claims; secured an award of more than $550,000 in attorneys’ fees in the client’s favor
- Represented a television network and a celebrity in a copyright infringement action concerning a documentary and successfully defended against an application for a temporary restraining order and a motion for preliminary injunction
- Obtained a dismissal under California’s anti-SLAPP statute of claims arising from a hidden-camera news report on doctors and unaccredited medical schools
- Handled three lawsuits involving claims of antitrust, trademark infringement, and unfair competition in New York, Northern California, and Southern California; a confidential settlement was reached
- Successfully defended claims at several trials involving Penal Code Section 632 and intentional interference with contract
- J.D.cum laudeUniversity of California, Hastings College of the Law1995
- B.S.with distinctionUniversity of Wisconsin-Madison1992
Bar Admissions : California
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
Professional Memberships :
- Member, Los Angeles Copyright Society
- Member, Copyright Society of the U.S.A.
- Co-editor, Communications Lawyer, the American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law’s publication.
Rate : $$$