Leslie B. Kiernan represents corporations, boards, nonprofits, governmental entities and their leaders at the intersection of law enforcement, business, government regulation and politics.
Leslie helps clients facing white collar criminal defense matters and complex congressional and government enforcement investigations, as well as ethics and compliance matters. She has decades of experience in crisis management and strategic counseling. Leslie advises clients on matters that require a combination of litigation, regulatory, public policy and communications skills.
In addition to her work in private practice, Leslie has a distinguished record of public service. From 2011 to 2014, she served as deputy assistant to the President and deputy White House counsel. There, she advised White House officials on a wide range of compliance, risk management, policy and oversight issues. In that capacity, she served as liaison to the executive branch and independent agencies on a variety of legal matters, acted as counsel to the Office of the First Lady and worked on a number of public/private partnerships.
During her tenure at the White House, Leslie developed and oversaw the implementation of legal compliance and ethics programs, and she supervised the evaluation, selection and confirmation of executive branch nominations for the White House Counsel’s Office.She was also a member of the judicial nominations team.
Additionally, Leslie served as senior advisor to the U.S. Mission to the United Nations, where she represented the U.S. in a range of matters in connection with the 69th Session of the General Assembly and served as an advisor to the U.S. Permanent Representative and other senior U.S. officials.
- Served as senior advisor to the U.S. Mission to the United Nations.
- Spent three years in the Obama administration, including as Deputy White House Counsel.
- Decades of experience in crisis management and strategic counseling.
- Preparing executive branch and judicial nominees for the Senate confirmation process.
- Conducting internal investigations for private companies and governmental and not-for-profit entities.
- Assisting clients in developing and implementing government affairs compliance programs.
- Representing clients before committees of the House and the Senate, as well as before the Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Attorney’s offices, government enforcement agencies and inspectors general.
- Advising clients on matters related to various federal and state conflict of interest, campaign finance and criminal laws, as well as federal and state lobbying, gift and pay-to-play rules.
- Member, Board of Directors, Children’s National Medical Center (CNMC), and Chair, CNMC Enterprise Risk, Compliance and Legal Affairs Committee.
- Member, Board of Directors, Bearacuda RE (CNMC Insurance Subsidiary).
- Member, Board of Directors, Council Children’s Law Center.
- Member, Board of Directors, Kids v Cancer.
- Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy Counsel to the President, Office of the White House Counsel, 2010 to 2014.
- General Assembly of the United Nations, Alternate Representative of the United States to the Sixty-Ninth Session, 2014.
- Staff Assistant, U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Banking, Finance and Urban Affairs.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1986
- A.B., Brown University, 1981
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$