Leslie M. Werlin’s practice is concentrated in the areas of business and commercial litigation including real estate, creditors’ rights, secured transactions, contract, corporate and partnership disputes.
Les has been lead counsel in more than 30 trials or arbitrations that have gone to verdict. His trial experience includes the areas of contracts, business torts, real estate litigation, bankruptcy, and commercial landlord-tenant disputes.
In more than 25 years of commercial and business litigation practice, he has also served as lead counsel in hundreds of commercial and business based disputes in a diverse range of areas including contracts, business torts, secured transactions, unfair competition, real estate, antitrust, trademark, and corporate and partnership responsibility.
Les has served as counsel for buyers and sellers, foreclosure trustees and lien holders in many types of real estate litigation matters, including commercial lease disputes, lenders’ rights and obligations, homeowners’ associations, and foreclosure actions.
He was counsel in Fidelity Mortgage Trustee Service, Inc. v. Ridgegate East Homeowners Association, (1994), 27 Cal.App.4th 503; The League of Residential Neighborhood Advocates v. City of Los Angeles, 498 F .3d 1052 (9th Cir. 2007); and The League of Residential Neighborhood Advocates v. City of Los Angeles, 633 F.Supp.2d 1119 (C.D. CA 2009).
Les has served as counsel in broad range of commercial disputes including breach of contract, secured transactions, the duties of corporate officers and directors, stockholders’ rights, real and person property secured transactions, business torts, bankruptcy, antitrust, trademark, real estate, and employment based litigation.
Over the years, his representation has included Imperial Bank, MBNA America Bank, Far East National Bank, Boys Clubs of America, Twentieth Century-Fox, and Link Staffing Services.
Les has served as counsel in many employment-based litigation matters including discrimination, wrongful discharge, breach of loyalty, breach of contract, and unfair competition. His previous experience includes a clerkship with the Honorable Robert J. Kelleher of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
- Representation of retailer in trademark infringement action resulting in settlement and stipulated permanent injunction for retailer.
- Representation of securitization trustee in highly contested fraud related litigation commenced by borrower in which trustee was granted summary judgment on all claims.
- Representation of sporting association in governance dispute resulting in settlement after association succeeded in defeating request for injunction relating to corporate election.
- Representation of well known author in disputes with former associates resulting in dismissal of all claims.
- University of California Los Angeles, JD, Order of the Coif, 1975
- University of California Los Angeles, BA, 1972
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Affiliations : Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
Rate : $$$$