Lewis J. Kweit provides advice to investment funds regarding pressing tax issues in connection with acquisitions and dispositions of assets, forming fund structures and operating management companies. Lewis has deep technical knowledge, which he puts to work to provide practical, timely solutions to difficult tax issues. His goal is to provide the most tax-efficient structure while working within the business parameters of the transaction.
Lewis has strong experience with issues related to the formation and operation of investment funds, including:
- Partnership taxation
- Private equity
- Real estate
- Real estate restructurings
- Hedge funds
- Real estate investment trusts (REIT)
- Unrelated business taxable income
- Debt modifications
- Distressed debt.
- Has done work for more than a decade for one of the world’s largest alternative asset managers.
- Clients include investment funds and their joint ventures and portfolio companies.
- Focuses on providing U.S. and international tax advice.
- Represented a leading global real estate and investment management firm in connection with a $9 billion merger of three public REITs. The large, complicated matter required significant tax planning and difficult negotiations to defer taxes in the current transaction and to avoid future transactions that could trigger tax.
- Established a fund structure for a wide variety of investors with different tax profiles and negotiated with the investors with respect to difficult tax issues related to raising $1.5 billion for a real estate fund. Addressed tax issues specific to raising fund money from non-U.S. investors.Established a fund structure for a wide variety of investors with different tax profiles and negotiated with the investors with respect to difficult tax issues related to raising $1.5 billion for a real estate fund. Addressed tax issues specific to raising fund money from non-U.S. investors.
- Structured a two-stage sale transaction of an asset, saving the client millions of dollars in U.S. taxes. The transactions were completed on a tight time frame and were tax-efficient while still maintaining other benefits of the deal.
- Advised a large alternative asset manager on tax considerations in raising $27 billion to close on a private equity fund with several hundred investors in less than six months. Launching this fund solidified the client’s position as a market leader.
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section.
- LL.M., New York University School of Law, 1996
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 1995
- B.S., University of Delaware, cum laude, 1992
- New York
Rate : $$$