Lewis J. Liman is partner of Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP. Lewis joined the firm in 2003 as a partner. Lewis Liman’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, securities class action lawsuits, and white-collar defense matters and investigations.
He has successfully represented numerous corporations in federal class action or complex litigation, handled internal and governmental investigations for both individuals and corporations, and has tried 10 jury cases. Lewis was a former Assistant United States Attorney and Deputy Chief of Appeals in the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York. He also has an extensive appellate practice.
Federal Securities Class Actions and Complex Litigation
- Has represented Petrobras, Vale Sanofi, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, Bank of New York Mellon Corporation, IMAX, Bear Stearns, and Pall Corporation in federal securities class actions and other complex litigation.
Shareholder Derivative Litigation and Securities Litigation
- Has represented boards of directors, including those of Dow Chemical and CA, Inc.
Governmental and Internal Investigations
- Has represented Tyco, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, Bank of New York Mellon Corporation, IMAX, Bear Stearns, Pall Corporation, and numerous other companies that have not been disclosed.
- Has represented individuals in securities litigation and governmental matters or investigations, including those involving Baker-Hughes Corporation, Cardinal Health, MDC Partners, GAMCO, JP Morgan Chase, Alcoa, ImClone, Safety-Kleen, CMS Energy, Lehman Brothers, United Rentals and UBS.
- Successfully argued Gabelli v. SEC before the United States Supreme Court in 2013, establishing that the general federal statute of limitations applicable to governmental civil penalty claims did not incorporate a discovery rule.
- Vice President; Chair, Public Service Committee, Federal Bar Council
- Member, Board of Trustees of the Supreme Court Historical Society
- Member, American Law Institute
- Yale Law School, J.D., 1987
- University of London, London School of Economics and Political Science, M.Sc., 1984
- Harvard University, B.A., 1983
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeal: Second, Third, Fourth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. District Courts: Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; Eastern District of Michigan
Rate : $$$